How to cut/copy/paste transactions in Moneydance

tan.k.h

24 Apr, 2020 11:05 PM

Hi,

I am a Quicken refugee and this is a feature that Quicken supports. In a register, I can select a transaction,
and the context menu allows me to cut/copy/paste a transaction. This is useful when I need to :
1) create a transaction based on a previous one
2) move a transaction to another account because I accidentally created it in the wrong account.

I can see that Moneydance has AutoCompletion and can move a transaction "See : How do I move a transaction to a different account" that partially solves (1) and completely solves (2).

Moneydance also has a context menu called "Duplicate Transaction" but I cannot find any documentation on it in the Knowledge Base.

So, the cut/copy/paste is a nice simple trio that seems handy and it may be possible I am just not familiar enough with Moneydance to see this.

Thanks in advance,

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 24 Apr, 2020 11:14 PM

Hi,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Moneydance contains a feature called "Batch Change", which allows you to make changes to a single transaction, or multiple transactions at once.

Batch Change allows you to make changes to the Description, Check#, Memo, Tags, Category, and Account fields in the register.

For further details about this function, please refer to this article in the Knowledge Base.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by tan.k.h on 24 Apr, 2020 11:36 PM

Thanks Maddy.

So instead of the trio Cut/Copy/Paste we have the following
    1. To move a transaction to a different account, use Batch
    2. To copy a transaction to a different account, use Duplicate Transaction, then Batch

There is no concept of cutting a transaction ( into some clipboard ) for pasting later on.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 24 Apr, 2020 11:47 PM

Moneydance uses the double entry method of accounting, which means that every transaction is a link between accounts (or categories), this should explain why you cannot simply cut/paste.

The value of one account or category will increase and another will decrease when a transaction is made.

Transactions can be between a financial account and an expense or income category, or between two financial accounts (such as a transfer from a checking to a savings account).

Finally, in this article the section called Quick entry might be useful.

Using Duplicate Transaction will open the New Transaction window and fill in the current information that can be edited.

Furthr details on the Context Menu can be found here.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by tan.k.h on 25 Apr, 2020 06:57 AM

Thanks Maddy. I think I can get around MD without copy/cut/paste, now that I know how MD supports what I need, in its own way.
    Closing out this discussion then.

5. tan.k.h closed this discussion on 25 Apr, 2020 06:57 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac