Changing share quantities

bluesinbflat

10 Oct, 2016 03:34 PM

I have a handful of mutual funds and stocks that I have not been updating. I just went in and tried to change the number of shares I own and can't find a way to do it. When I add a transaction to the register the number of shares field is grayed out. How do I make a one-time addition of shares to correct not keeping up with my statements?

Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 10 Oct, 2016 03:58 PM

Hi bluesinbflat,

The default 'Action' for a new investment transaction is 'Xfr'. Hence the grayed out Shares field.

Change the 'Action' to 'Buy'. You can then enter a Share count and 'Amount' for the selected security.

It's up to you as to how you are going to account for the funding.

-Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by bluesinbflat on 10 Oct, 2016 06:14 PM

Kevin, thank you. I realized that I could change the action. The problem for me is in your final sentence. How do I account for a change in the number of shares without altering the total balance in the account? Everything I try to do changes the cash total for the account due to the double-entry accounting environment.

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 10 Oct, 2016 07:06 PM

Hi bluesinbflat,

Something that you could try is to enter or edit the 'Initial Balance' after the 'Buy' txns are entered so as to bring the cash balance back to it's original value.

To edit the 'Initial Balance' = Menu bar > Account > Edit Account

HTH -Kevin N.

4. 4 Posted by bluesinbflat on 14 Oct, 2016 04:59 AM

It seems like there could be a better way, but the CPAs would have a fit.

I suppose your suggestion will have to work in my situation.

Again, thank you.

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 14 Oct, 2016 05:48 AM

The CPA's would have a fit about just adding to the number of shares owned too.

A real problem with stocks is if they are not entered in the manner they were bought you cannot allocate lots when selling and most taxation authorities expect you to do lot matching on sales so as to correctly work out capital gains.

6. System closed this discussion on 13 Jan, 2017 05:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac