Security Price Entry Extension alternative?

joegold

20 May, 2015 02:10 AM

Hi

A few months ago I upgraded to MD2015 from MD2012 but had to roll back to MD2012 because the Security Price Entry Extension is no longer compatible with the product.
I was told by support that MD2014 was the last version of the app that was compatible with this extension and I almost decided to buy MD2014 at that time but ultimately decided on just sticking with MD2012.

The reason I need to use this extension for security price entry is that many of my securities (including preferred shares and bonds) do not have their prices readily available from places like Yahoo Finance.
So at the end of each month when I get my statement (sometimes even more frequently) I enter the prices in manually.
The Security Price Entry Extension allows me to do this all on a single page, each security one at a time, and then I just have to click "Apply" and I'm done.

In order to do the same work w/o this extension I have to:
1. Open the Investment Account's window and put it in Securities Detail view.
2. Select one of the securities whose price I want to enter via the flip menu.
3.Click on History which opens up the Currency/Security History window for that security.
4. Enter the price in the Current Price field.
5. Click New which enters in the above mentioned price on the current date and makes the above mentioned price the Current Price (even if it *isn't* the actual "current price" for the security).
6. Scroll to the bottom of the historical prices list to find the entry i just made and then change the date to the end of the month.
[Remember that I'm trying to enter in prices for a specific date which is not usually the date that I'm making the entries on.
E.g. I usually get my statements around the 15th of each month and need to enter in the security prices that were "current" on the last day of the previous month. etc.]
7. If the above mentioned price is not actually the true current price for the security or the price that I want to see in my portfolio views as the current price of the security (e.g. if I've also entered or want to enter a mid-month price for this security) I have to repeat steps 4 thru 6.
8. Then I have to repeat Steps 4 thru 7 twenty or more times for the other securities in this account.
9. Then I have to repeat it all again for my 3 other Investment Accounts which thankfully only have a small number of securities in them.

The Security Price Entry Extension is nowhere near a perfect tool and is much less convenient for doing all of this than Quicken's Portfolio View is but at least it's nowhere near as tedious as what I've outlined above which still seems to be the only alternative way of working within MD for me.

So unless I'm wrong and there IS another way to do this within MD, I'm wondering what to expect from Infinitekind as this product continues to be developed.

1. Does the developer of the Security Price Entry Extension plan on updating it to be compatible with current versions of MD?
That doesn't appear to be on the horizon and I'm not holding my breath.
2. Are there any plans from the Infinitekind developers to make MD2015 and later compatible again with this extension?
3. Are there any plans from the Infinitekind developers to add to MD2015 and later a new and hopefully equally or more powerful securities price manual entry system?

I really would like to continue using your product as the years go on but this is a line in the sand for me.

Joey

1. 1 Posted by Gerald Achor on 20 May, 2015 02:40 AM

Joey,

The Security Price Entry Extension is now owned by IK, and is now available as an Extension to MD2015. One feature you will find missing is the Close Button. (g) Otherwise, it is the same ole Extension. So download the current version of MD2015 here: http://infinitekind.com/preview

I also would be lost without it. So download MD2015, and enjoy.

By the way, color contrast has been improved also. You will have to enter Preferences and checkmark the option of Increase Color Contrast under the General Tab. Exit MD and reenter MD.

Jerry

2. 2 Posted by joegold on 20 May, 2015 01:34 PM

Really?
    OK, great, I'll do that.
    Thanks for the info.
    Wish I'd known sooner.

3. 3 Posted by Gerald Achor on 20 May, 2015 02:36 PM

I thought you might want to know. Seems like you went into great effort to explain your current way of obtaining prices. (G)

Of course, you could wait. (LOL) Each preview build of MD2015 seems to correct bugs and enhance areas of the Program as it is presented to us users.

At your leisure, you might want to see the development of each build at this location:
    http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/moneydance-2015/moneydance-2015-pre...

The list of extensions for MD2015 can be found here:
    http://infinitekind.com/extensions

Jerry

4. 4 Posted by joegold on 24 Jun, 2015 04:41 PM

Hi Gerald

So I just purchased and downloaded the MD2015 upgrade.
    On my receipt I was given a new license.
    But when I open the app, what appears to be my old license seems to be active and I can see no way to enter in the new license.
    Is this normal, or am I missing something?

Also...
    I used to keep the Moneydance.app file within a folder (called “Moneydance”) inside my Applications Folder (Mac Yosemite).
    I also keep other things in that folder related to Moneydance (e.g. documentation, etc.).
    With MD2015 this no longer seems to work and I have to have the Moneydance.app in the Applications folder w/o any surrounding folder.
    Is that by design?
    Is there a way I can go back to the previous behaviour?

And you might want to tell whoever is developing the security Price Entry Extension now that the old behaviour when resizing the extension’s window was better than the way it is now.
    E.g. Lengthening the size of the window used to also lengthen the size of the securities list.
    As it is now the list length remains the same and resizing the window is basically useless.

Joey

5. 5 Posted by Gerald Achor on 24 Jun, 2015 07:49 PM

Hi Joey,

Like yourself, I am only a user of the Software. I run it on a Windows 7 Home Premium OS, so I am unfamiliar with the Mac and Mac Yosemite.

I will have to relent to the IK Staff to answer your OS question(s). The IK Developers are also now the owners of the Security Price Entry Extension, so I imagine that they will be all ears to your query about the Extension. (g)

As I understand it, if you purchased MD 2014, that license should still be valid for upgrading to MD2015. If you purchased any version earlier than MD2014, than you are required to purchase a new license. Again that is just on my knowledge. It is no way official. (g)

Jerry

6. 6 Posted by joegold on 24 Jun, 2015 07:58 PM

Hi Gerald

Ooops. I thought you were an IK rep.
    Sorry to bother you.

But wait...
    This is addressed to “[email blocked]” as was my previous email.
    If you’re not an IK rep then why are these emails getting to you and how do I get them to an IK rep?

FYI
    My license should be for valid only for MD2012.

Joey

7. 7 Posted by Gerald Achor on 24 Jun, 2015 08:26 PM

Hi Joey,

When one starts a discussion thread, there is a square (box) at the top left-hand corner that one may checkmark to make the thread private. Otherwise, the thread is made public for all to see. I am not sure if that email addy you are using is actually an entrance to the IK Forum here or not. It must be. (g)

Jerry

8. 8 Posted by joegold on 24 Jun, 2015 08:30 PM

I’m not entering this on the forum.
    I thought these were private emails between you and I.
    No?

Joey

9. 9 Posted by Gerald Achor on 24 Jun, 2015 08:41 PM

Afraid not, Joey.

As I see it, you opened this Public Discussion on May 19th. We are the only 2 people viewing this discussion so far. If you enter the Forum through a Web Browser, you will find your discussion thread if you click on Support Home. The Thread will be the first one listed; since we are now active in the Thread. Confusing, right? (g)

Jerry

10. 10 Posted by joegold on 24 Jun, 2015 08:43 PM

Wow.

I'm at the forum *now* and this whole exchange has indeed been public.
    That's f...ed up if you ask me.

The private email notifications that this forum's system sends to me make no mention of the forum and contain no links to viewing the thread on the forum.
    They look like private emails from [email blocked].
    Actually, I can see the link now to the forum in the greyed out section at the bottom of the emails where I would normally never look to read.

Most forums of this type do *not* do things this way in my experience.
    I.e. They do not allow you to respond directly to the forum threads using email.
    Rather, they provide a link to the forum discussion within the received email notification and after logging back on to the forum you can then post your reply.
    Most forum email notifications like this say specifically "Do not reply to this email."

This forum's present system isn't a bad system per se, if you know that that's what it's doing, but it should tell us that that's what it's doing.

Sheesh.

11. 11 Posted by Gerald Achor on 24 Jun, 2015 08:56 PM

The IK Staff usually monitor these threads. So I think that you made a good suggestion as to the updating of how the Forum should operate. IK did return to Tender (the owners) this past year to build support here for it's users. So I imagine that constructive conversation for improvement is most welcomed here.

IK Staff are you listening?? (G)

Jerry

12. 12 Posted by Ian L on 25 Jun, 2015 12:07 PM

Yup, here and listening.

Joey, it looks like your original post was submitted through the web forums, and then you started responding using email instead. Emails originally sent directly to [email blocked] are set to be private by default and feed into a forum that only staff members can see. There's no way (according to our settings) that an email sent to that address would end up in the public Investments forum.

Did you email use using your email client originally, or did you use the form at http://infinitekind.com/help? Looking at that form, I can see how it might not be clear that it is not a private email form. The checkbox at the bottom to make the conversation private is easy to miss. I'll talk to our web dev folks to see if that's something we can improve.

If you did send an email directly to us using your mail client and it ended up here, than that sounds like a bug in the forum software. If that's the case, could you forward me the original email at [email blocked]? I can forward it on to our forum host and we can try to figure out the issue.

Ian
    Infinite Kind Support

13. 13 Posted by Gerald Achor on 25 Jun, 2015 01:37 PM

Hi Ian,

You might want to view Joey's original concerns in his Post #4 on licensing and Mac OS.

It appears, accordingly to data on Preview Builds, that you have been quite busy. (g)

Jerry

14. 14 Posted by joegold on 25 Jun, 2015 01:55 PM

My 1st post was made to the forum.
    The 1st reply, from Gerald, looked like a private email from [email blocked].
    I replied to Gerald using my email client and my email client automatically used [email blocked] in the To field.
    This is because, of course, the Reply-To field in Gerald's original message has [email blocked] filled in.
    The From fieled of Gerald’s original email reply to my forum post had another address for him.

The message I’m typing now, using my email client, in response to Ian is also addressed to [email blocked] even though another address for Ian was used when he sent me the email.
    This is also because the Reply-To field in Ian’s original message has [email blocked] filled in.

So I kind of understand the way this forum’s email notification system works now using various extra headers in the emails, I just don’t like it and I think there should be some warnings or instructions to forum members telling them that this is how it works.

And if I ever do want to actually send an email to [email blocked] I’d like to be confident that it will indeed be sent to [email blocked] rather than to the forum.

Joey

15. 15 Posted by joegold on 25 Jun, 2015 01:58 PM

Yes.
    Ian, can you please answer my questions from post #4 above.
    Thanks.

16. 16 Posted by Ian L on 25 Jun, 2015 03:39 PM

OK, I see where the email confusion came in. I'm not sure if that's something we can adjust or change, but I'l check in with our forums provider about it.

Regarding you license, it looks like you originally purchased 2015, and then we refunded it. My guess is that, when you re-installed it, it picked up your old 2015 license key somehow. You should keep the new key for your records, but it's fine to keep using the old one, since you've re-purchased now.

The Moneydance.app file should still run from any folder you put it in. We haven't made any changes on our end that would prevent that. What version of OSX are you running? I'm not suer if there is some Apple setting or change that could cause that problem. You might also want to try restarting your computer to see if that clears things up.

Ian
    Infinite Kind Support

17. 17 Posted by joegold on 25 Jun, 2015 05:36 PM

No content.

18. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 25 Jun, 2015 06:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac