Problem with Match Lots

Jeff Gibson

22 Jan, 2017 07:23 PM

I have an investment account with two securities: a money market and a stock with lot matching enabled. Every time I open the account, enter a transaction, or do much of anything in the account, moneydance freezes for up to 30 seconds, and then the "Match Lots" window comes up, even though every sale is already matched. If I cancel this, I can go back to work until I enter another transaction. If I hit "OK", it takes 2-3 minutes to process. This happens even if I haven't entered any new sales. I'm running on a 2013 MacPro, so the computer speed shouldn't be an issue.

When I do have new sales, I match the lots, and as often as not, when I hit "OK", it churns for several minutes and then tells me I haven't matched everything correctly. After doing this a few times (having it churn several minutes each time), I can usually get it to accept the new updates.

Needless to say, this is driving me a bit crazy. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I just updated to Moneydance 2017, but the problem has persisted through the last several versions.

One thing that I thought might be the problem is that several years ago, there was a 1:4.5 stock split (ratio of 0.22222222). When this happened, I was left with fractional shares that got sold off. Although I entered the factional shares with the lot matching to the precision that was displayed, my hypothesis is that there was some rounding error internally that gave it the idea that there were some shares that weren't properly matched. I tried to recreate the problem with a new Moneydance 2017 data file, but even when I enter the funny stock split, things seem to get handled correctly. I've been using moneydance for years, though, so my original data file was created several versions back. Perhaps some problem got propagated from an earlier version.

I thought of trying to change the security to not use lot matching and then change it back. Would that let me do this again from scratch? If so, I'd like to export the data I have first so I don't lose it. I've tried exporting the account to a text file, but the lot matching information doesn't seem to be exported.

1. 1 Posted by Tom Freeman on 23 Jan, 2017 10:21 PM

Can you go to the securities detail window for this security and select edit lots then take a screen shot of the window.

And can you send me your errlog.txt file? If you're using Mac OS X, it should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt

or:

~/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder, open Finder and select Go -> Go to Folder and and copy and paste in the following:

~/Library

This should pull up your local Library folder.

If you're using Windows, it should be located at:

C:\Users\(yourusername)\.moneydance\errlog.txt

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by jsg72 on 24 Jan, 2017 03:24 AM

I'd rather not post the screenshot in a public forum. How can I send it to just you?

3. System closed this discussion on 25 Apr, 2017 03:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac