HPE Split

George Williams's Avatar

George Williams

12 Apr, 2017 08:32 PM

I have 300 shares of HPE, On April 3 they spun off part of the company and declared a tax exempt dividend where I ended up with 25 shares of DXC (and a lower price for HPE). As this is not strictly a buy how does one handle this so I can have the correct basis and of reflect this new stock in my portfolio.

  1. 1 Posted by Tom Freeman on 17 Apr, 2017 03:43 PM

    Tom Freeman's Avatar

    The easiest method would be to create an asset account called pass thru. You would do a sell xfer (at cost basis) of your current HPE holdings into this account. Then do a buyxfer for the new shares of HPE and DXC at the cost basis as supplied by your broker.

    This should zero out the pass thru account. If there was a cash payout for fractional shares then this should be the leftover in the passthru and can be transfer ed into the investment account.

    Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

  2. System closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2017 03:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts


? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 Jul, 2024 06:57 PM
20 Jul, 2024 06:13 PM
20 Jul, 2024 06:08 PM
20 Jul, 2024 05:44 PM
20 Jul, 2024 04:36 PM