Gather Investment/Security Transaction types and scenarios documentation here?

Ashley E

20 Jun, 2015 11:14 PM

I'm new to MoneyDance from Quicken (and MS Money before that). I'm trying to figure out how to best handle different investment (security) transactions. In trying to learn this, I can't find a place where all of the different investment transaction actions are listed with examples that show the specific fields that are used for each action (since it differs). Nor can I find a document that lists how to handle typical investment transaction scenarios. Is there a document -- a FAQ or something -- that has this information? It seems to be mostly scattered across discussion threads. That makes it hard for me as a newcomer to determine what is still accurate and what is out of date.

The User Guide has a short description of each action, but there are no examples and the descriptions are terse. (How is "Short" used, exactly? or "Cover"? When is approprate to use "MiscInc" or "MiscExp"? When is it not?)

Can a KB article be started so that this information exists in one official place, please?

Until then, can we use this discussion thread/topic to gather (1) Investment Transaction Types (ex: Buy, BuyXfer, etc.), and (2) Investment Transaction scenarios (ex: Transfer Securities between accounts, Rename a Security, Track Non-Residence Tax on Dividends, etc.) ?

If there is already a discussion/article/source for handling an investment transaction scenario, please link to it. For example:
Track Non-Residence Tax on Dividends how-to in this discussion http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/56-how-do-hand...

I am happy to try to organize the info as it develops and grows. (And as a s/ware engineer, this could augment any existing use-cases the development team has, and could certainly be folded into the next iteration of the user guide.)

If this is not the appropriate place or way to gather this info, please let me know -- and please point me to where this should go/should be done.

Here is some starting information. Is this correct?

Investment Transaction Types (from the Moneydance 2015 user guide and my additional wording):

Note that any transaction that has 'Xfer' in it will transfer ("xfer") funds to/from another account.

Buy - Buy shares of a security using cash from the investment account; removes cash from investment account and converts to shares of a security

BuyXfer - Buy shares of a security and hold in this investment account using funds transferred from another account; removes cash from some other account and converts to shares of a security in this account.

Sell - Sell shares of a security and keep the cash proceeds in this investment account;

SellXfer - Sell shares of a security and transfer the proceeds to another account Sell shares of a security, placing the funds into another account

Div -- Record dividends earned for a specific security and deposit funds into the account

DivReinvest -- Record dividends earned for a specific security and then use those dividends to purchase more shares of that same security.

DivXfer -- Record dividends earned for a specific security and transfer those proceeds to another account.

Short -- Sell shares of a security that you do not own, in the hope that those shares will go down in value and can be purchased for less.

Cover -- Purchase shares that were previously shorted

MiscInc -- Miscellaneous income associated with a specific security.

MiscExp -- Miscellaneous expense associated with a specific security.

Xfer -- Transfer funds to or from this investment account, including income or expenses not associated with a specific security.

Investment Transaction Scenarios

How to enter any fees associated with the transaction? How to do a split transaction?

1. Buy - Use the Buy action, enter the trade date, the security, the number of shares and cost of each share.

2. Buy using funds from a different account - Use the BuyXfer action, enter the account from which to use the funds (cash) to buy the security, the number of shares and total (and/or price per share), and the category to assign to the cash used to make the purchase.

3. Sell - Use the Sell action, enter the sell date, the security, the number of shares sold, and the sell price.

4. Sell and put the proceeds into another account - Use the SellXfer action, enter the sell date, the security, the account that you'll transfer the proceeds (cash) to, the number of shares and total (and/or price per share), and the category to assign to the proceeds from the sale.

5 .Record a Dividend -- Enter the date, the security, the amount of the dividend, and the category to assign to the dividend amount (ex: INCOME:Investments:Dividend). The cash balance of the investment account will increase by the amount of the dividend.

6 .Record a Dividend and reinvest the dividend amount in the same security -- use the "DivReinvest" action, enter the dividend date, the security, the amount of the dividend, the number of shares to buy with that dividend, and the category for the dividend (ex: "Income:Investment:Dividend"). If you have used all of the dividend to puchase shares, the cash balance of the investment account won't change. If you used only some of the dividend to purchase shares, the cash balance of the investment account will increase only by the amount left after purchasing (re-investing in) shares.

7. Receive Cash in Lieu of a Security -- ??

8. Transfer securities from another account and maintain the historical cost-basis and lot holdings information -- see http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/general-questions/2949-tra...

9. Record a Dividend and the Non-Resident Tax assessed on the dividend - see http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/56-how-do-hand... for approaches on this

10. Rename a Security - see http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/15949-renaming-of...

11. Recording Transactions when Investing in Foreign Stocks -- see http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/84-recording-t...

12. Recording Interest Income for the Cash Balance in an Investment Account -- see http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/switching-from-another-per...

1. System closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2016 04:55 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac