Frozen program on "match lots" screen

Bob Hovey

19 Aug, 2015 04:41 PM

I sold a security and am trying to get back on the security screen to maintain the security name (I add three x's in front of the name when I no longer own that security so it sorts to the end of the security list). When the usual match lots screen came up I entered the number of sold shares as normal. the screen froze and gave me the message "you have allocated an incorrect number of shares". MD is frozen on that screen. I checked entering the correct number of shares, the balance shows zero.... but when I click "ok" to exit it returns the error message. See attached screen grab. The "cancel" button does not cancel the matching screen, it flashes off and then returns. I can't get out by selecting another trading account. The orange button to move the whole MD program screen to the tray does not work. The red button to shut down MD does not work. "Force Quit" did work. Note it appears that the program data file has lost the sale of the previous 93 shares years ago, but I am not trying to "match" that one... and it still does not work if I "match" all four lines of data. Help! Bob

1. 1 Posted by Bob Hovey on 19 Aug, 2015 04:44 PM

Money Dance Version Info - 2015.3 (1175)

Bob

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 19 Aug, 2015 09:21 PM

There are many issues in Lot Matching in the older builds of Moneydance 2015

These have been getting progressively resolved with the final issues resolved in build 1265 (fingers crossed), so I would suggest upgrading to the latest preview build.

3. 3 Posted by Tom Freeman on 19 Aug, 2015 11:20 PM

Bob

Please upgrade the the latest build here: http://infinitekind.com/preview

The issue should resolve itself, if not please let us know.

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Robert Hovey on 20 Aug, 2015 01:19 AM

Will this automatically convert the data files? Is there a re-naming procedure so the data files don’t mix?

I have struggled in the past with conversions of other programs and I’m a little gun shy.

Bob

Bob Hovey
    404-333-1598 cell

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 20 Aug, 2015 04:00 AM

There is no data file updates or conversions in going from 1175 to the latest build

The latest build is really only a latter bug fix version of MD2015

6. 6 Posted by Robert Hovey on 24 Aug, 2015 12:29 AM

The upgrade you supplied installed without any apparent problem. MD boots normally. I will test the actual issue with the “match lots” screens when I have time to be sure and finish. Thank you for your help.

Bob

Bob Hovey
    404-333-1598 cell

7. 7 Posted by Robert Hovey on 24 Aug, 2015 01:00 AM

Decided to give it a run.

I had four security records with the hang up issue. After the update was installed I was able to update three of the four and all three worked normally.

The fourth security seems to have a data glitch from an earlier 2012 sale that did not post, or the data reducing the balance is corrupt. The data for the present sale is cleared ok. This match lot screen hung up as before and I could not close that screen either with the cancel button nor with the red dot upper left corner. Also MD was hung open and would not close. Force quit again worked.

This is not a problem for me and it is not worth the effort to try and correct that old 2012 sale date. The security no longer shows in the portfolio listing and has zero dollar value. It's just the share # count that's off.

Thanks for your help. Y'all can put another star on your screen !!

Bob

8. 8 Posted by Ian L on 24 Aug, 2015 10:44 AM

Great, glad to hear it's working for you now! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance, and thanks for using Moneydance.

Ian
    Infinite Kind Support

9. Ian L closed this discussion on 24 Aug, 2015 10:44 AM.

10. Bob Hovey re-opened this discussion on 29 Aug, 2015 09:26 PM

11. 9 Posted by Bob Hovey on 29 Aug, 2015 09:26 PM

Same lockup problem just happened with an entirely different account and a different security. I processed two stock sales today. One was a round 100 shares and one had additional shares that were purchased by reinvesting dividends. The round lot sale did not have a problem. The second one did all of the miserable things mentioned above, again requiring force quit to regain control.

Possibility. could the decimal partial shares on the problem sale be doing something? I am still getting the "wrong amount of shares" error message on the match lots screen. I enter the exact partial shares on the broker statement in the register, and I enter the available shares figure shown on the match lots screen. Could the program be suppressing some numbers behind the decimal that I can't see on the match lots screen?

On the problem stock, there is also a fractional share left that will be settled for cash when I get the monthly broker statement.

Happily this problem is on a security where I sold all shares, so I can just let the problem sit out there forever as long as I don't try to open the security detail screen for that stock. If I ever open that screen I am locked up.

Thanks
    Bob

12. 10 Posted by Ian L on 31 Aug, 2015 01:10 PM

Hi Bob,

Could you try upgrading to the latest preview? There was a bug in how the lot matching window handled DivReinvest transactions before build 1265. The latest build should allow you to successfully match lots completely.

Ian
    Infinite Kind Support

13. 11 Posted by Robert Hovey on 31 Aug, 2015 04:19 PM

Hi Ian

On Aug 23 I installed an upgrade provided by Tom Freeman on 8/19. Is there a newer one ?
    Bob

Bob Hovey
    404-333-1598 cell

14. 12 Posted by Tom Freeman on 31 Aug, 2015 04:24 PM

You an check your current version by going to help > about Moneydance. If you have the current version (1282) and the issue persists, can you run the program attempt to settle your lots then attach the console window to this thread.

You can access the console window from Help > console window. Use the copy to clipboard function to cut and paste into a word app and attach to this thread.

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

15. 13 Posted by Robert Hovey on 31 Aug, 2015 08:11 PM

I have version 1175. The update you sent earlier was installed ok, but judging by the time it took to install it was a small change. How do I get 1282 ?

Bob

Bob Hovey
    404-333-1598 cell

16. 14 Posted by Tom Freeman on 01 Sep, 2015 09:07 PM

The link to the preview build is always the most current build available. You can see the build number in the right corner above the mac link.

http://infinitekind.com/preview

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

17. 15 Posted by Robert Hovey on 02 Sep, 2015 07:22 PM

Hi Tom

I successfully installed 1282 and the "match lots” screen now worked correctly. It looks like your fix is good.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Bob Hovey
    404-333-1598 cell

18. 16 Posted by Scott Meehan on 02 Sep, 2015 08:15 PM

Hi Bob,

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now! Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

19. Scott Meehan closed this discussion on 02 Sep, 2015 08:15 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac