0-value securities

josh.lawless

21 Aug, 2015 06:50 PM

In an effort to shoe-horn support for incentive stock options (ISOs) into Moneydance, I've devised my own method for accounting for the equity portion of my compensation. I create a new security for each grant, named "[Company Stock] ISO [Grant Number] [Strike Price]" and manually track it's value (by downloading historical price charts for the underlying stock, and modifying the historical prices with a calculation in Excel of "=max(0,[reference to cell with daily price]-[strike price])", and importing the resultant file into the price history.

So far so good (albeit highly manual) -- with one exception. Moneydance can't accommodate a security value of 0.00. Given how poorly my company stock has performed over the last six months, many of my ISO grants are underwater, and therefore worthless. Moneydance insists that they be worth at least $0.000001 each (which, when multiplied by more than 4999 ISOs, causes the current value to rise higher than $0.00).

Accordingly, I can't accurately (to the penny, that is) track the value of my employee stock plan. Is there a reason why Moneydance won't permit a security's current value to be 0? Given the direction the stock market is heading, this may be a feature you'll want to implement sooner rather than later. :-/

1. 1 Posted by Scott Meehan on 21 Aug, 2015 07:11 PM

Hi Josh,

Unfortunately Moneydance doesn't support $0 securities. I've passed your feedback on to the developers for consideration, so they'll be looking into it.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. System closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2016 05:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac