"Hiding" Old/Inactive Investments

whitedavidp

20 Feb, 2018 06:34 PM

I can see, by searching these forums, that many people before me have found the lists of Securities in MD containing old, unused Securities to become unwieldy over the years. As I have recently come to MD after over a decade using Quicken, I have come to rely upon Quicken's ability to "Hide" such securities from most places in the UI. So this has been a small irritation for me in MD. Despite the many requests for a "hide" function in MD spread across the years in these forums, all I have been able to find is the ability to hide a security from the Summary Screen. While better than nothing, it is a far cry from Quicken's "hide" abilities.

In another discussion here <http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/switching-from-another-personal-finance-program/6520-hiding-oldunused-securities> I came across a "hack-scheme" to at least keep such old, unused securities out of the way by relying on the fact that these lists are presented sorted in ASCII sequence and renaming such securities with a prefix causing them to fall to the bottom of the lists and therefore out of the way for most users.

I found that the manual task for so many securities was too daunting to contemplate. So following the old programmer's adage, "if it is worth doing, it is worth writing a program to do it", I did so. The result took the form of the attached python extension. Thinking that others may find this useful on occasion, I have posted it here. In working on this, I found that I could also check the box for such securities to hide them in the summary page. Therefore, those securities that are renamed will always be so checked and those which are not renamed will always NOT be so checked when this extension is done doing its thing

Usage of this is simple:
1. Using the Python window, load the extension file and press run. After a short pause you will be prompted to install the extension. Do so.
2. Now on the extension menu choose Rename Old Investments. Be aware that doing so will immediately run the rename function as described above. I have taken no steps to make this un-doable in the UI. So as noted below, be sure you have good backups!
3. A summary of what has been done is shown in the results window. You can select the text, copy, and paste it somewhere else if you wish to keep records.
4. Close the results window and you are done until next you wish to do this. Then just go back to step 1 and repeat.

This has been used/tested only by me so far and only on the 2017 version of MD. While I have seen no ill-effects of using this, no warranty is provided. Therefore make sure you have a good backup of your MD data before installing and running this thing. You have been warned :-)

The code is pretty straight forward but should you have questions, you can post here and I will try to reply in a timely fashion.

Cheers!

1. System closed this discussion on 22 May, 2018 06:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac