Share prices

Derek Harris

30 Jan, 2019 12:05 PM

I know that this has been a problem for sometime, but just wonder if any progress has been made with the release of the 2019 version. Unfortunately it seems not as all of my holding, following download requests to Alphavantage, are showing a current value of zero.

1. 1 Posted by Derek Harris on 30 Jan, 2019 01:08 PM

It seems patience was required. Almost all quotes but now appear OK.

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 30 Jan, 2019 03:35 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Derek

There are two methods within Moneydance for obtaining security prices automatically.
    The extension “Quote and exchange rate updater. For exchange rates use the source European Central Bank. If your securities are in the US try IEX Trading first, if that does not support a security try Alpha Vantage. Alpha Vantage also cover some securities outside the US, but is very, very slow.

If the Quote and exchange rate updater does not work well for you try the free third-party Quote Loader.

For 2019 see post 33 at http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/4039-quote-loa...

It has far wider coverage and is fast.

Download the PDF attached to posts 33 and have a read. To get an overview take a look at the YouTube video by using the link in the PDF.

Let us know how you get on or if you need help just post.

Hope this helps.

3. 3 Posted by dh on 31 Jan, 2019 02:43 PM

Hi Derek

Many thanks for your response.

Although for reasons that are beyond me almost all quotes appeared to be working properly after upgrading to 2019 Moneydance, perhaps after closing and reloading it, I don’t know, and so things were not as bad as I first thought, changing to Quote Loader now all quotes appear to be correct.

Regards
    Derek

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Jan, 2019 02:53 PM

Hi Derek

If I am reading you correctly Quote Loader is returning prices for all your securities?

Glad it is working for you.

Have Fun.

5. 5 Posted by dh on 31 Jan, 2019 10:38 PM

Hi Derek

Yes, sorry my sentences have a habit of extending further than perhaps they ought.

Much of your earlier reply I knew already, I've been using Moneydance for many years now and when some time ago the Quotes & Exchange Rates Updater extension stopped retrieving quotes reset it to retrieve quotes via Alpha Vantage. However this was unreliable, particularly in respect of quotes for UK Investment Trusts, this sometimes being pounds sometimes pence and one Johannesburg registered company. However they are few and knowing which were unreliable I worked around it.

When I updated Moneydance to 2019.1 it seemed to stop retrieving quotes altogether, so in panic my support request.

However after initially not working it began to work and even began to retrieve the UK Investment Trust prices correctly, the JSE company was still incorrect and curiously one FTSE 100 company retrievable before the 2019.1 update no longer downloaded.

Perhaps the general problem with Alpha Advantage that it was so slow.

When I received your response I set up the Quote Loader extension to see if it helped and so far it has, just one day so far.

A bit worrying to have Moneydance warn me against using Quote Loader. However it works, downloads quote quickly, it works well and my anti virus software, it appears, is not suspicious of it. I suppose at some point Intuit will test Quote Loader and remove the warning.

Derek

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Feb, 2019 12:13 PM

Hi Derek

Glad Quote Loader is working for you.

Any issues just post.

Have Fun

7. System closed this discussion on 03 May, 2019 12:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac