Stock Split requires BuyXfr which requires a transfer account

cscj01

03 Feb, 2019 08:46 PM

I am currently running MD 2019.1 (1855) under Ubuntu 18.04 x64.

If I have a n:m stock split where n > m, I must have a BuyXfr transaction to account for the extra shares I now own (Is this true?). The BuyXfr transaction requires a transfer account. This is always (AFAICT) the same account to which the stock itself belongs. Moneydance will not allow me to select the account in which I am entering the transaction although that is the correct account. MD will also not allow a blank account entry here. How is everyone handling this?

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 03 Feb, 2019 08:55 PM

Hi cscj01,

I can't really tell from your post whether or not you are using Moneydance's built-in stock split utility.
    I don't recall ever needing to enter a txn to account for the split once it was entered into the stock split form.

The stock split form is available by clicking the 'Stock Split' button in the upper, right-hand, quadrant of the 'Securities Detail' tab for the investment in question.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by cscj01 on 03 Feb, 2019 09:38 PM

I did enter a stock split as you explained. Note that I asked if the statement was true. I recall from some past discussion on stock splits and spinoffs the use of the BuyXfr transaction. So I assume you are saying that I do Not need the BuyXfr transaction in the case of a stock split. The split alone will account for the additional shares. That makes sense and it also makes things easier. Thanks.

3. System closed this discussion on 05 May, 2019 09:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac