Transacting with more than four decimal places

valtandor

28 Mar, 2019 08:37 PM

Hi,

I'm dealing with a managed investment fund programme like a 401k that reports its stocks to five decimal places, as distinct from the default four. It has two separate investment funds (each like a stock, only spread out across a range of assets, shares, property etc.).

In the past, not knowing that I could set the number of decimal places on a newly created stock, I just went with the default of 4. Realising my error, my workaround was to multiply the number of shares by 10, and divide the price of each share by 10, thus keeping the dollar amount the same but meaning I only needed four decimal places. But this is a little mentally cumbersome.

I recently discovered that I could set the number of decimal places of a security to a different value at the time of creation, so I created two new securities. But when I tried actually modifying old transactions to use these new securities, the interface would not let me buy or sell shares to more accurate than four decimal places anyway.

I can obviously stick with my old way of doing things, but is this behaviour (the limit of 4 decimal places in the transaction register, even if the security supports more than 4) expected?

1. System closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2019 08:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac