download historical stock prices

Jon

04 May, 2019 09:31 PM

Is there any way to download historical stock prices in MoneyDance?

I'm using the "Quotes & Exchange Rates" extension in the latest MD 2019. First I tried IEX to download and it seemed to download the last 5 days of prices and volume, but only for a few stocks. I switched to Alphavantage and got an API key and tried again. Painfully slow, but it appears that it's only downloading today's data - it kept saying price 0 for May 4, and when I look at the history for a stock it just downloaded, there is nothing but history from my past transactions.

From this, I conclude that IEX is fast and gives the last 5-7 day's of data but only for a few of the stocks you have, and Alphavantage only gives today's data but for all your stocks if you have the patience to wait for it.

I'd like to have price history for a stock back to the earliest transaction date for that stock. Is there a way to do that other than manually importing price history files?

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 04 May, 2019 11:33 PM

Hi Jon,

From the Moneydance menu bar, go to Tools > Securities.

In the resulting window, double-click a security. In the following window click the 'Import' button.

Select the 'Import from Transactions' radio button. Click the 'Import' button.

Your other option is to d/l a CSV file from yahoo.finance, your brokerage or elsewhere and import it using the other radio button.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. System closed this discussion on 03 Aug, 2019 11:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac