Updating Security Prices

Grayem Bartuli

21 May, 2020 06:00 PM

Hello: I have am still running the Trial Version, trying to make sure I understand how this works compared to my 20+ years of Quicken, this may also be the answer to my question (not licensed yet but Moneydance says I have transactions left yet).
  I transferred my Quicken file to Moneydance on 4/30/20. I have installed both the Quotes and Exchange Rate & the Quotes and Exchange Rates Update Now extensions, and per per the Knowledge Base I have set the settings to Alphavantage and obtained a Key. I have about a dozen T. Rowe Price and Vanguard securities with valid ticker symbols, and ran the test. So far I have had no success in downloading security price updates. My "History" continues to show 04/30/2020 and back prices. I've tried the Chicago Stock Exchange and the New York Stock exchange (maybe I'm trying the wrong place for current and history prices). It dows appear that the exchange rate does function since I see a green status bar when I do the update now, even though I don't track or use exchange rates.
  My Current file does show a graph of historical security prices going back 20+ years.
My primary concern is to retain my ability to generate a Net Worth for any period of time beginning in 2002 up to now. I seem to be doing OK accessing bank and credit transactions. I do have an MS Access database with historical security prices going back to the late 90's that I can export a csv file in case of Moneydance (or Quicken) damage to the history data.
I'm running a PC Laptop with Win 10. with an Internet connection.
What am I missing?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 21 May, 2020 06:16 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Grayem

If you can post say 3 or 4 of your ticker symbols plus the names of the securities I can check if they are supported.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by Grayme Bartuli on 21 May, 2020 09:26 PM

Thanx for the offer Derek, I've been downloading with these symbols for 20
    years now they should be good. I'll see what support says first.
      But I would ask where my data file is, up to know I've always keep my
    data on an external drive that gets removed when I'm done with it so there
    is no ghost image on my laptop when I upgrade it. But I can't seem to find
    this trial db to move it to a different drive. I typically also show file
    extensions so I know the type a file is. Do you know where I should look
    and what for?

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 21 May, 2020 10:08 PM

I'm a fellow user.

If you have been using Quicken for 20 years it means you have been downloading prices from the server Quicken maintains of prices in the North American Market for that time.

Moneydance uses freely available price sources, it has to, it does not sell time limited versions or subscription versions of the software which would be needed to fund having its own servers and data feeds, and the software is used world wide so needs prices from many markets.

The first question to therefore answer is does the price source used support the security in question and allied to that is does the ticker used match what the price source has and is it also correctly defined.

On your other question Moneydance does not store its data in a single file it is stored within a defined folder structure. the default locations are defined in the following article:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/default-file-location

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 22 May, 2020 07:07 AM

Hi Grayem

The purpose of asking you to post 3 or 4 of your ticker symbols plus the names of the securities was so I could check if they are supported by Alpha Vantage the source used by the Quotes and Exchange Rates Update extension. If they are supported help a new user with the setting up of the extension.

If they are not supported then test the alternate means of obtaining prices using the Quote Loader extension.

The offer still stands.

5. 5 Posted by Grayme Bartuli on 22 May, 2020 06:17 PM

OK Derek: When I opened Moneydance this PM almost all of my security
    prices were updated!! So apparently I'm getting closer to registering
    Moneydance.  A few didn't update but they also gave me a
    message/indication that something was wrong, so I'll check those and
    update the Security information page.

I'm splitting my time between this and my outdoor projects, so for now
    I'll take a break, fix those securities, and look for the Folder and
    attempt to move it to a flash drive.  Good news is that they are
    predicting a rainy weekend.

Thanx for you support, I'll get back to you next week with a status update.

Grayem

6. 6 Posted by Grayme Bartuli on 22 May, 2020 06:21 PM

Hi dwg: When I opened Moneydance this PM almost all of my security
    prices were updated!! So apparently I'm getting closer to registering
    Moneydance.  A few didn't update but they also gave me a
    message/indication that something was wrong, so I'll check those and
    update the Security information page.

I'm splitting my time between this and my outdoor projects, so for now
    I'll take a break, fix those securities, and look for the Folder and
    attempt to move it to a flash drive.  Good news is that they are
    predicting a rainy weekend.

Thanx for you support, I'll get back to you next week with a status update.

Grayem

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 22 May, 2020 06:48 PM

Hi Grayem

Just to let you know all participant of your discussion get a email of your posts, so no need to duplicate a response to individuals.

In case you want to try the alternative extension for obtaining quotes the extension Quote Loader can be found under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSION

For information see post 29 at
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4914-the...

Download the PDF attached to posts 29 and have a read.

To get an overview take a look at the YouTube videos by using the links on page 1 and 2 of the PDF.

Let us know how you get on or if you need help just post.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac