Quotes and Exchange Rates Loader has stopped working for Australian Securities Exchange

Rich W

23 May, 2020 06:18 PM

Hi I have set up my stock investments in MD which include mostly UK and one Australian Securities Exchange ASX stock for Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA). I set up Quotes and Exchange Rates linked to aplhavantage API as described and all was working perfectly until the 8th May when just the CBA Stock History prices have stopped updating. All other Stock prices and Exchange Rates including the Australia Dollar to GBP Rates are all updating fine - I now get a message "Unable to get Rate from to AUD".

Does Anyone have any ideas what I could try to get this working - I eventually resorted to Quote Loader to get a latest quote which did work when I added Yahoo/FT as the Load point, but it has no History which I would like, which is a drawback I am trying to resolve using the Quotes and Exchange Rates extension and it was working perfectly up to the 8th May as I say. Ive tried multiple combinations of CBA:ASX , CBA , ASX: CBA, CBA AX dependent on whether I think it may be reading from Google Finance or Yahoo Finance and nothing seems to work.

All advice would be appreciated.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 May, 2020 07:34 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Rick

I use Quote Loader to obtain quote but did a search to see if Commonwealth Bank of Australia was supported by Alpha Vantage. The following was the only match I could find from Alpha Vantage.
               “1. symbol: "CBAUF",
                "2. name": "Commonwealth Bank of Australia",
                "3. type": "Equity",
                "4. region": "United States",
                "5. marketOpen": "09:30",
                "6. marketClose": "16:00",
                "7. timezone": "UTC-05",
                "8. currency": "USD",

However its not what you are looking for. Perhaps they have stopped supporting that security quoted on the Australian stock exchange.

If Alpha Vantage was working, what symbol did you originally use? Was it just CBA on the Australian stock exchange?

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 23 May, 2020 09:29 PM

I would tend to suspect a problem with AlphaVantage.

If AlphaVanaage stopped supporting CBA they might as well stop supporting the whole ASX. CBA is a major bank and one of the top listed companies on the exchange.

I tested Westpac, Wesfarmers and Telstra as well and no price was returned for these either, and those are 4 stocks in the top 20 on the exchange.

3. 3 Posted by Rich W on 24 May, 2020 01:16 PM

Hi derek
    Yes I use CBA.

So what is the conclusion guys - is there a way to contact AlphaVantage to ask them as I am not a premium user so I doubt they will respond to me.

How do you recommend we proceed?

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 24 May, 2020 01:30 PM

Hi Rick

If CBA was supported by Alpha Vantage then they have either dropped support for that security or it’s a temporary problem that only they can fix.

Unless support is resumed then you should use Quote Loader at the end of each trading day if you want to build a complete price history going forward.

Have Fun, stay safe.

5. 5 Posted by Rich W on 24 May, 2020 08:27 PM

Thanks
    Sadly I am not at my PC every day to do that but I get the jist of what you are saying. Basically there is nothing I can do so I have to use the Quotes Loader as the only below par option. I may as well just use google and add them in myself.
    Not your fault I know but will continue to hope that AlphaVantage pull their finger out.
    Let’s hope someone comes up with something better or I will continue as we say I’ll have to.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 24 May, 2020 09:25 PM

People from these forums have tried to contact AlphaVantage in the past, from responses I have seen they appear to be unresponsive.

I would not call Quote Loader a "below par" option I think that is doing the extension a disservice. It is interacting with the websites data stream so it is only able to pull the current price, it also means it does not require anything special from the site, apart from a usable stream, which is not always the case. Q&ER is downloading a time series file which is much more uncommon with the free services.

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 24 May, 2020 09:48 PM

Hi Rick

Some user who cannot do a manual Quote Loader run, set up auto run, Quote Loader window closed, Moneydance running and just leave their computer on. Only solution I can see at the moment.

8. 8 Posted by Rich W on 25 May, 2020 12:21 PM

Hi dwg
    I apologise that was a poor choice of words. I should say it is not the solution I am looking for.

Hi Derek
    Thanks for your suggestion- I’ll look to see if I can work out how to do that.

9. 9 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 May, 2020 01:21 PM

Hi Rick

For information see post 29 at
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4914-the...

Download the PDF attached to posts 29 and have a read from page 7.

Auto Update is also covered at the end of the Full Video, YouTube link on page 2 of the PDF.

Let us know how you get on or if you need help just post.

Hope this helps.

10. 10 Posted by Rich W on 25 May, 2020 05:05 PM

Thanks Derek. I’ll look at it over the next few days

11. 11 Posted by faye.connors on 28 May, 2020 06:55 AM

Hi Rich, All my stocks are on ASX, & yes Alphadvantage has stopped working for all ASX. If you only have 1 stock on ASX you can use yahoo (one security at a time) to download historical prices for a date range then upload via Securities Detail/history button/import/ import from file/.
    I recently did my entire portfolio one by one the other day.!!

Hopefully, Moneydance folks sort it out.

12. 12 Posted by Rich W on 28 May, 2020 07:57 PM

Thanks Faye. I will research this option at the weekend. Hopefully at some point AlphaVantage may fix it. As was previously suggested no one from AlphaVantage has responded to my request for support.

13. 13 Posted by DIB on 06 Jun, 2020 06:42 AM

I was also affected by AlphaVantage ceasing to provide quotes from the ASX so I installed Mike Bray's Quote Loader and it works a treat. Thanks Mike.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Unable_to_get_rates_from__To_AUD.png 10.8 KB
  • Security_History.png 88.8 KB
  • CBA_Prices_Graph.png 101 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac