Transferring Stocks between accounts

Bob B

27 Jun, 2020 11:06 PM

I have an investment account in CAD. My broker used to hold US stocks in the account and when I bought sold, the broker converted the price and amount into CAD. Now the broker has created a new account for the stocks ithat are in USD and moved them over.

I know that in order to transfer stocks between one account and another, I need to create an account where I SelXxfr into that account and then Buy them back using BuyXfr from that account. So far so good. I sold all the stocks for for an amount equal to the cost basis for those stocks (so I preserve capital gains etc).

My problem is that the new investment account is in USD (not CAD). Say I sold 100 stocks for $10 each - I now have $1000 in the xfer account. I want to buy 100 stocks so that the amount in CAD equals $1000 and have MD adjust the buy price to match - now the balance in the xfer account should be 0.

I can't seem to figure out how to do this easily. If I make up a price in the USD account and then go to the transfer account and adjust the value there to $1000 the amount in the USD account is not changed and the price is not updated.

Can anyone think of a better way to do this? I have about 100 stocks that I need to fix.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac