WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LONG TERM AND SHORT TERM GAIN OPTIONS?

TENA

09 Jan, 2021 03:52 AM

WHERE ARE THE LONG TERM AND SHORT TERM GAIN OPTIONS?

1. 1 Posted by TENA on 09 Jan, 2021 03:53 AM

THE LONG TERM AND SHORT TERM OPTIONS HAVE DISAPPEARED FOR MY INVESTMENTS.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 09 Jan, 2021 04:09 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Firstly stop shouting, that is what all capitals means in forum posts.

Moneydance has never had CGLong or CGShort action types. You achieve the same effect with a Div or MiscInc action type and choosing an appropriate category for the transaction.

3. 3 Posted by Tena Doan on 09 Jan, 2021 03:46 PM

Sorry! I didn’t realize I was shouting. It won’t happen again!

I could swear I’d used the long and short term options before. I’ll have to do a thorough search.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Jan, 2021 04:10 PM

Long and Short term appears on some of the cost basis and gains reports...

5. 5 Posted by Tena Doan on 09 Jan, 2021 07:40 PM

Thank you. And again, I did not mean to shout. I thought I had entered transactions as long and short term reinvestment options. Perhaps that was a couple of years ago in Quicken. I do not use the download options because I’ve had things so badly scrambled in the past, and I don’t want to face that again.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 09 Jan, 2021 07:56 PM

Quicken and Reckon does have these action types, most other programs that I have seen do not.

Quicken needs them because it uses action types to define not only how the tranaction is processed but what category is used for the transaction and it does this through the wizard you use for data entry. With Moneydance however you interact with the register directly so the action type only needs to instruct the software how the transaction is to be processed, you define the category as part of entering the transaction, hence a single action type can handle many different transaction types.

7. 7 Posted by Tena Doan on 09 Jan, 2021 08:29 PM

I guess I can understand that. Thank goodness for the annual tax report from the financial institutions! You guys have been great. Thanks for answering my questions.

8. 8 Posted by dwg on 09 Jan, 2021 08:45 PM

For any mutual funds you will always need Tax reports from the institutions as Capital gains are generally not shown in the distributions you see, if indeed you are receiving them as you may be reinvesting, unlike self owned shares where they are.evident in the data.

If you have data like capital gains that you want to incorporate into Moneydance reports, like the Income and expense reports there are way of doing it that do not affect account balances.

9. 9 Posted by Tena Doan on 10 Jan, 2021 12:50 AM

Ignore. But thanks for the help and suggestions!

10. System closed this discussion on 11 Apr, 2021 01:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac