Merging Investment Accounts

Mike V.

23 Feb, 2021 03:04 AM

I have moved all investments in kind from one account to a different account within the same brokerage. How do I do that in Moneydance?

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 23 Feb, 2021 03:23 AM

Maybe I don't understand the question, but could you just rename the account and if the numbers are different do that in account/edit?

just a user

2. 2 Posted by Mike V. on 23 Feb, 2021 03:28 AM

Fidelity Broker, Account1 and Account2. Move all the investment items in Account1 into Account2, delete Account1. Not sure how renaming would work.

3. 3 Posted by dtd on 23 Feb, 2021 03:36 AM

I wouldn't move all the investment items. Investment accounts are often problematic in doing things like that.

Renaming Account1 to be Account 2 seems simpler to me. (And yes, name, number, etc. would be necessary.

Make a backup before you begin either.

4. 4 Posted by Mike V. on 23 Feb, 2021 03:49 AM

I have already merged the two accounts. Account2 now contains all the original investment items that were in Account2 plus all the investment items moved from Account1.

If I rename Account1 to be the same name as Account2 in Moneydance, won’t
    I just have two accounts with the same name but not reflecting the single merged account?

5. 5 Posted by dtd on 23 Feb, 2021 03:54 AM

I thought you said you'd created a new account2 and were moving everything there was in account1, if there is a commingling of two different existing accounts, then it sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Knowing now what you just said, your earlier messages make more sense to me.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac