Stock Prices

gordon.dow

01 Mar, 2021 12:06 PM

I'm sure there's an answer somewhere but I can't see it.

At the ned of each month I enter the stock prices manually. I do this under Currency/Security History, going to New which brings up today's date & I can enter today's price. But above this section, there's a line Current Price - can anyone tells me what this is for please? Am I also meant to enter today's price in there too?

Regards,

Gordon.

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 Mar, 2021 12:44 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Yup the meaning of 'current price' is current price.... ;-> So, yes, this should be set too. It's used in various places. Sometimes MD does a lookup on the latest dated price, and sometimes it uses the current price (when a backdated price is not needed)..

(not support, just a fellow user)

2. 2 Posted by gordon.dow on 01 Mar, 2021 01:51 PM

OK, thanks again Stuart. Seems a bit daft having to enter the price twice but at least I now know.

Regards,

Gordon.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 Mar, 2021 02:04 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

It's possible to have a dated price 1 year ago and a current price for example....

4. 4 Posted by gordon.dow on 01 Mar, 2021 03:57 PM

Understood Stuart but I’d have thought it could be covered by one entry!

Regards,

Gordon.

Gordon Dow
    5 Cedar Gardens
    Woking GU21 7JB

5. 5 Posted by nick gay on 01 Mar, 2021 04:14 PM

You do not need to enter price twice, just enter value next to current price then click new and it will update, I do this myself each month.
    Not support just fellow user

Regards
    Nick Gay

6. 6 Posted by gordon.dow on 01 Mar, 2021 04:20 PM

Thanks Nick, it works! Very much appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon.

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Mar, 2021 06:37 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Gordon.

Is there a reason why you don’t use the Extension Quote Loader to automatically get your Security prices?

The extension Quote Loader can be installed under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSION

For information on the features of this extension and how to use see post 106 at
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4914-the...

Download the PDF attached to posts 106 and have a read.

To get an overview take a look at the YouTube videos by using the links on page 1 and 2 of the PDF.

Let us know how you get on or if you need help just post.

There is also a manual security entry Extension called Security Price Entry under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSION.

Hope this helps.

8. 8 Posted by gordon.dow on 01 Mar, 2021 06:55 PM

Thanks Derek. I’ve always preferred to enter prices manually, did so when I used MS Money. Allows me to see how individual prices are moving.

Regards,

Gordon.

9. 9 Posted by dwg on 01 Mar, 2021 08:14 PM

I'm a fellow user.

I have found that the Security Price Entry extension to be a better tool for manually entering prices. Installed using the Manage Extensions menu item. It allows for the automatic setting of the current price.

The standard built in method is a bit cumbersome. The reason for not automatically setting the current price when entering in the history table is simply that you may be entering a historical price.

10. 10 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Mar, 2021 08:21 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Gordon.

Quote Loader displays the last price and it trade date as well as the new price and its trade date, see screen shot.

Hope this helps.

11. 11 Posted by gordon.dow on 02 Mar, 2021 09:26 AM

Thanks to all, I'm happy just to enter the month end price manually from my portfolio in Morningstar, that way I know both should agree.

Regards,

Gordon.

12. 12 Posted by dwg on 02 Mar, 2021 09:41 AM

I would still suggest you look at the Security Price entry extension. This will give you a single screen that you can enter all the prices into in one go without the need to go to each individual security. I use it to enter monthly Fund prices that are not available for download.

13. 13 Posted by gordon.dow on 02 Mar, 2021 09:56 AM

OK, thanks DWG, that sounds useful.

Regards,

Gordon.

14. 14 Posted by gordon.dow on 03 Mar, 2021 01:02 PM

Hello again dwg, I see that I’ve already got that extension installed! Will use it next time I update prices.

Thanks again,

Gordon.

15. System closed this discussion on 02 Jun, 2021 01:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac