Unable to BUY a Security

whitedavidp

24 Jun, 2021 04:03 PM

Vanguard has just done a money market fund exchange and the download of this has hosed up stuff. It appears the best way to deal with this is to change the transaction type from XFR (which is how it downloaded - completely bogus putting the funds into a totally different checking account) to a Sell followed by a Buy.

It seems I can set up the sell as it shows the old MM fund in the list of securities.

But I cannot seem to set up the Buy. The list of securities shown is limited ONLY TO A SMALL SET OF SECURITIES that are known to MD. The list shown seems to display no rhyme or reason and MD will not let me enter anything else. The security I want can be seen in the security list under the Tools menu. I really do not see why the list of securities on a Buy transaction should be limited in this way.

I must be missing something. Please help me. This has affected a large number of accounts.

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by whitedavidp on 24 Jun, 2021 04:24 PM

In the attached file clipoard01 see the details when I edit the fund being sold. In the attached file clipboard02 see the details when I edit the fund being bought.

The fund being bought has an ID that looks quite different from the IDs of all the other funds I have looked at. Not sure if this is relevant or not.

Thanks

2. 2 Posted by whitedavidp on 24 Jun, 2021 04:32 PM

In the attached file clipboard01 see the list of securities offered me by MD. in the attached file clipboard02 see the sell/buy securities in the Tools->Securities list.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Jun, 2021 04:44 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

You have to add the new security to the investment account and then once it exists you can BUY. Go to the investment account. Click security detail. Add security.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Jun, 2021 04:46 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Ps. I can see the security you want to buy in the list already?

5. 5 Posted by whitedavidp on 24 Jun, 2021 04:49 PM

Wow! Thanks. I guess I must have hit add at some point while thrashing around and not noticed it on the list. Thanks very much!

6. 6 Posted by whitedavidp on 24 Jun, 2021 04:50 PM

BTW - I was struggling with this in 2 accounts. Must have hit add in one, then went to the other, then went back to the 1st to capture the screen shot.

7. Maddy closed this discussion on 30 Jun, 2021 10:16 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac