Changing the number of decimal places for securities - any automation?

Jim G

06 Jun, 2022 04:24 PM

I just had a retirement account change administrators (not my choice), and the new administrator is tracking shares to 6 digits instead of 4. So now I'm facing the issue that, based on over ten years of posts on the forum, is apparently an intractable problem that there's absolutely no way to fix.

So the official ugly-hack workaround is to create new securities with the new number of decimal places and manually edit every transaction to use the new securities instead of the old ones. Except that in Moneydance 2017, at least (I know, I know, but none of the new versions have had the features I'm actually looking for—like, say, being able to change the number of decimal places in a security), replacing the old security with the new one messes up the number of shares. For example, if STOCK is tracked at 4 decimal places and STOCK-NEW at 6, and there's a buy transaction in the register for 10.0000 shares of STOCK at a total of $100, changing that to STOCK-NEW will turn the transaction into 0.100000 shares of stock for $10000. To get the numbers to be the same, you have to trick Moneydance by entering the transaction as 1000 shares of STOCK-NEW for $100. So it's easier just to enter a new transaction for STOCK-NEW and delete the old one.

That's kind of a pain if there are years of transactions to manually re-enter.

Has anyone found a way to do that more programmatically, either through a script or by exporting the data, modifying the exported file, and importing it again? (This cries out for an extension...)

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Jun, 2022 05:09 PM

Yup - Toolbox can do this for you!! 😃 Install and run toolbox extension. Take a backup. Enable update mode. Click the Currency and Security tools button. Then edit security decimal places...

Let me know how it goes?

Mr Toolbox

2. 2 Posted by Jim G on 06 Jun, 2022 05:16 PM

Looks like Toolbox doesn't work on Moneydance 2017, though. Maybe a reason to finally upgrade!

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Jun, 2022 05:43 PM

Correct... I have restricted it to newer versions.. Too difficult to main backwards compatibility... It will work on 2019 manually, but why bother going to 2019 - just go to 2022... A suggestion...

Download the latest MD version.. Install into a new directory....
    File/Export Backup
    On the new (Trial) version... File/Restore from backup to create a test dataset.
    Load/run toolbox and try out the fix.

If you like what you see, then download for real, purchase upgrade and away you go...

Use file/Open to open your original dataset...

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Jun, 2022 07:24 PM

Any joy?

5. 5 Posted by Jim G on 07 Jun, 2022 08:34 PM

Upgrading is just enough of an inconvenience, and I had a just manageable enough number of transactions to change, that I ended up just re-entering them all by hand. Which will be fine until they switch administrators on me again and go back to tracking to four decimal places.

(At least I'm not the poor soul on these forums who said they needed to track to 16 decimal places!)

It definitely looks like a great tool, though, and I'll keep it in mind when upgrade time finally comes.

6. System closed this discussion on 06 Sep, 2022 08:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac