Simplifying Investment Accounts

Paul Huff

04 Jul, 2022 12:20 PM

My wife and I have several investment accounts that are made up of numerous individual funds. We have no need or desire to list the individual securities nor to track them in detail. We simply want to be able to manually make quarterly adjustments to the overall value of the accounts. What would be the best way to set this up in Moneydance without listing all of those individual securities? Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 04 Jul, 2022 12:36 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The way I have set this up is to create a security for the total investment. I initially enter the buy transaction at a price of 1.00 per unit so the total value is the number of units I own. My updates to the value are done through entering a new price per unit into the price history

This is how Investment accounts in Moneydance are designed to work with shares in general so I just extend this to the fund as a total rather that the individual funds/shares.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 04 Jul, 2022 12:43 PM

To add to this to take a traditional accounting approach you could also do something like create an Asset account for the investment, then pass revaluation amounts through the account using an appropriate category.

3. 3 Posted by Paul and Sue Hu... on 04 Jul, 2022 02:01 PM

Thankyou for the suggestions. I’ll give it some thought.

Paul

Sent from Mail for Windows

4. System closed this discussion on 03 Oct, 2022 02:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac