toolbox and cusip's

Dan Hanger

22 Jul, 2022 12:41 AM

I wanted to respond to an earlier discussion but it has been closed and unable to re-open:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/6065-mismatched-security-download

I'm having a similar problem to that discussion but somewhat different. I have two phantom securities that just won't go away--no matter if I delete them from securities list they always re-appear on ofx downloads and the only option is 'none of the above' for matching. I already have an existing match (with a slightly modified title but the same ticker symbol) with the correct cusip.

The two symbols are CHI and CSQ, see attached. The two phantoms have an ID with 'DeSoto....' in the name, and the two correct (properly matched) ones are next, right after the phantoms. There are some other ones in the list with DeSoto as well that I had a similar problem but somehow I was able to straighten it out using Toolbox and resetting the cusip's (somehow, not sure how I did it) but these last two are impervious to anything I try.

Any help would be most welcome.

Dan Hanger

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 Jul, 2022 05:11 AM

If both versions of the same security are being referenced in OFX downloads with different CUSIP numbers then I think you are snookered. The way MD is setup means that it will always try to create a new security for every different CUSIP. The only fix is where one of them is not being used/referenced in ofx downloads.

Is it possible that with the other ‘desoto’s you ‘fixed’, the other’s ‘pair’ wasn’t being used?

2. 2 Posted by Dan Hanger on 22 Jul, 2022 12:24 PM

In May I moved several accounts from M1 Finance (which didn't offer ofx downloads) to TDAmeritrade (which does offer ofx downloads but it took me a little while to realize it). Shortly after the move I sold out positions in several securities, after which I discovered ofx downloading and started using it. When I sell out a position I prepend the security with 'z' to move it down the list and out of sight. The symbols with 'DeSotoxxx' are the positions I sold after the move and before starting ofx downloads. When I first started ofx these sold out positions showed up in the matching dialog as duplicates with no option except 'none of the above', same as the 2 remaining phantoms I'm trying to get rid of. I went through a lot of gyrations using Toolbox and resetting cusips before finally getting rid of the duplicates except the last 2. I can't recall exactly the steps that finally worked but I'm sure I used the same method for all.

Anyway, at this point it all seems too complicated to deal with and if there's no easy, obvious solution I'll just prepend these last 2 with 'z' to get them out of sight as well.

Thanks,
    Dan

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 Jul, 2022 01:26 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm not following your explanation.

In simple terms, if you have no md+ or OFX downloads using an occurrence of a security with a CUSP, then we can merge that into the other one (security with a different CUSIP) that is being used. Option Merge duplicate securities and keep the one being used.

If you have downloads occurring that are trying to reference two CUSIPs then you are snookered.

4. 4 Posted by Dan Hanger on 24 Jul, 2022 06:22 PM

I had a feeling it would be unintelligible but I guess I erred on the side of preventing TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read). Bottom line is that it seems that the other symbols with 'DeSoto...' in the cusip that I was able to somehow straighten out were the positions that I disposed of after the transfer from M1 to TDAmeritrade. The last two I can't straighten out are positions I still currently hold. I don't know what that means but it must have something to do with it. I have no idea where the DeSoto designation comes from, every security I looked up had the same 9 character alphanumeric code, none had any kind of recognizable name in the cusip.

I messed around with it for a few more hours using Toolbox but never came up with anything that worked. I looked at your suggestion of merging and worked at that for some time but still came up empty. At one point I tried changing the cusip (using Toolbox to edit the security's cusip) of the correct CHI to match the phantom CHI's DeSotoxxx and then retried the ofx download after deleting the phantom CHI from my security list . Weirdly, it once more downloaded the phantom CHI with 'none of the above' being the only option, only this time when I used Toolbox to view the cusip's again, while the correct CHI still retained 'DeSotoxxx' I had changed it to, the newly downloaded phantom CHI now showed the correct 9 character cusip!

Too much weirdness for me at this point and I just went with my convention of prepending with a 'z' on the 2 phantoms to get them out of sight. The only reason I'm obsessing about it is because after several decades of investing I have a pretty long list of defunct securities and I just want to prevent making the list even longer. Really wish MD had a decent way of hiding unused securities.

Thanks,
    Dan

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Jul, 2022 07:38 PM

Do this. Help/console. Clear console. NOW KEEP CONSOLE OPEN.

With console open, download your investments from OFX.

Switch back to console. Look for these tags in the OFX data.

:UNIQUEID UNIQUEIDTYPE
    SECNAME
    TICKER

Do you see DeSoto etc?

6. 6 Posted by Dan Hanger on 24 Jul, 2022 08:28 PM

There are several instances, all referring to the 2 phantoms (CHI and CSQ). As I suspected earlier there are no references to the sold positions that have DeSoto in the cusips.

7. 7 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Jul, 2022 08:45 PM

Thus the ‘Desoto’ reference is being sent by your bank and as such MD is recording it. You are snookered. Unless the bank is not also downloading a non desoto reference too?

8. 8 Posted by Dan Hanger on 24 Jul, 2022 08:50 PM

I stripped out all but some pertinent info, see attached. I currently have 5 positions in this account, the console log includes 7 (5 legitimate and the 2 phantoms). It's odd to me that they are including the same ticker symbol in 2 additional securities with different cusips.

9. 9 Posted by Dan Hanger on 24 Jul, 2022 09:08 PM

It's also odd that the other 3 legitimate tickers do not include a 'DeSotoxxx' evil twin. I wonder if I need to contact TD support....

10. 10 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 Jul, 2022 04:59 AM

Yup. You need to be talking to TD. There’s not much we can do from this end of it. They are sending the same ticker with two CUSIPs.

11. System closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2022 05:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac