Syncing failed

linken2229

31 Mar, 2018 10:35 AM

Hi
I have tried to do what was advised and still having problems with the android phone app saying no files. I have spent 2 days uninstalling and reinstalling moneydance 2017 on my windows pc and my android phone. When I go into File> sync on the windows pc, I get, Sync Method: Don’t Sync. I don’t have any options to change this as it is greyed out. I have deleted the monedancesync from Dropbox. And the android app. I have just reinstalled moneydance on my pc. please help

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Mar, 2018 11:13 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I have read on this site of the problem under FILE – SYNCING where the syncing method is greyed out and stuck at Don’t sync. This has always involved two computers syncing sometimes with addition of a phone.

If you have only one computer syncing then the following want explain the problem but the solution may still work, so read on.

If it’s your second computer, under FILE – SYNCING that the syncing method cannot be changed, then this as it should be.

If it’s the primary computer on which you can’t change the syncing method then the most likely reason for your problem is that you restored a backup from your second computer. The computer set to sync by using FILE – NEW – OPEN SYNCED FILE
    Where have you set your primary and second computer auto backups to be stored? Could it be in a same shared folder. See under FILE – PREFERENCES – BACKUP. If this is the case then the backup could be of the second computer if it was the last to be shut down overwriting a primary computer backup of the same day. Always have different backup locations, if say using Dropbox.
    If this is the case you need to try to find a backup created from your primary computer and restore from that.

If you can’t find a primary computer backup or don’t believe this is how the problem occurred then there may be a way to fix the issue. I have never had this problem so try this fix at your own risk.

Support have provided a file called "md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py" that should resolve this problem for you, see attached. Before proceeding, please back up your Moneydance data set, just in case something goes wrong. You can create a manual backup using the FILE -EXPORT BACKUP.

To use the .py file, first save it to your computer, somewhere you can easily access it like your downloads folder or your desktop. Then follow these steps:

1. In Moneydance, select Window --> Python Scripting.
    2. In the window that opens, select 'Open Script' then navigate to the .py file wherever you saved it on your system.
    3. Select 'Run' to execute the file.
    4. Wait a few moments until you see a message on screen, confirming the script has run successfully.
    5. Close and reopen Moneydance.
      Click FILE - SYNCING, and you should now be able to select the required sync method.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by linken2229 on 31 Mar, 2018 11:28 AM

Hi,
    Please could you tell me what is the .py file and where to find it.
    Regards

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Mar, 2018 01:24 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

It's a python scrip file created by support.

It's attached to the post. see http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/iphone-ipod-touch-ipad-and...

4. System closed this discussion on 30 Jun, 2018 01:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac