Out of Sync...

simon

11 Apr, 2018 01:49 PM

I have two Macs that normally sync without issue. Recently, they have fallen out of sync (can't remember whether I did something...?). I have individual backups from each location. I have tried restoring from the latest backup, renaming that file to the same as original but it doesn't update. How do I get them syncing again?

Thanks, Simon
Version: 2017.7 (1670)

1. 1 Posted by Ian O on 11 Apr, 2018 01:51 PM

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear of the issue you have encountered. Can you try to completely reset your syncing connection? This should allow you to set up syncing with a clean slate and make sure all your devices are pointed towards the correct syncing data. This will involve disabling the current sync settings, deleting all trace of the sync from Dropbox, then setting up again from scratch -

1. First disable Dropbox syncing in Moneydance via File --> Syncing, then close Moneydance.
    2. Using the Dropbox app or website interface, delete the .moneydancesync folder in your Dropbox folder.
    3. Then re-open Moneydance and re-enable Dropbox syncing via File --> Syncing.
    4. Sign out of Dropbox syncing on the Moneydance app on your mobile device and reconnect.

If you have any un-synced transactions on your mobile devices then this process will delete any transactions not stored in the main data set. You'll want to manually enter any transactions like this before following the steps.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by simon on 11 Apr, 2018 02:18 PM

Thanks Ian, understood. However, just to be clear..

I have two Macs (in two different locations), I am in front of Mac #1. I have the backup file from Mac #2 which is the file I would like to be using.
    What is the sequence to establish that backup file as my main sync file?
    What should I do when I'm in front of Mac #2?

3. 3 Posted by Ian O on 11 Apr, 2018 02:23 PM

Hi Simon,

I would restore your backup from Mac #2 on Mac #1. Once you have opened your data and you are happy this is the file you'd like to sync. Before turning on syncing, remove the '.moneydancesync' folder from your Dropbox. Then you can enable syncing in your newly restored data set on Mac #1. Once syncing is set up with the file, you should be able to connect your other devices. On Mac #2 navigate within Moneydance to File --> New, and then select 'Open Synced File'. This should allow you to connect to your new '.moneydancesync' folder and pull down a new data set on your system that is syncing with Dropbox, and Mac #1.

Hopefully that all makes sense, if you have further questions before proceeding please let me know.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by simon on 12 Apr, 2018 10:03 AM

Ian, one remaining question...
    I am currently midway through the process. I have deleted the sync file from Dropbox and restored on Mac #1 the backup from Mac #2. The backup has the same name as the original file so once I reestablish the sync Mac #2 will I assume, just try to open it? I.e. It won't be asking me to locate the file I want to open. Is that going to work ok?

Simon

5. 5 Posted by simon on 12 Apr, 2018 10:11 AM

And one further question...(sorry)
    Is it possible to have one Mac syncing to a Dropbox Folder and the other to Dropbox Connection? I have strong broadband in one location and iffy sattelite broadband in the other.

6. System closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2018 10:20 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac