Syncing Moneydance

Tamika David

05 May, 2018 06:52 PM

Hello- one of you helped set up my MacBook Pro to sync data from my desktop Mac. Something has happened and now the two are no longer in sync. Please help.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 May, 2018 07:09 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Assuming you are running Moneydance 2017 the best way forward is to reset syncing.
    You need to know which your primary computer is. This is the one you can change the syncing method under FILE – SYNCING. On your second computer you can’t change the syncing method. You will lose any data on your second computer that has not been synced to your primary computer.

Use FILE – BACKUP on your primary computer in case something goes wrong.

Assuming you purchased direct not through Apply update your build of Moneydance on both computers from https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software

RESET SYNCING

1. If you have mobile devices use there setting menu to disconnect.
    2. Set primary computer “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE – SYNCING, then click OK.
    3. On your primary computer use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong.
    4. On your second computer click on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your data sets “yourdatasetname.moneydance”.
    5. Using your primary computer in the Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”. This can talk some time.
    6. In your second computer check that in the Dropbox folder that the folder “.moneydancesync” has been automatically deleted. You need to give Dropbox a short time to complete this deletion.
    7. On your primary computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder”, click OK.
    8. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. Check the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”. This can take some time.
    9. Wait until the same Dropbox folder appears on your second computer, again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your second computer and wait till it states “Up to Date”.
    10. On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set”.
    11. Select “Open Synced File” and use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT.
    12. You should see a search screen headed “Select a synced document to open”
    13. After a short search delay, it should then list your un-synced data set name used on your primary computer.
    14. Highlight your data set name and click NEXT.
    15. Enter the encryption password, the “Encryption Passphrase” you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING.
    16. Then click on FINISH. Wait for your data to be synced.

You may find a lot of old, maybe closed accounts or other accounts you have removed from the side bar reappearing in the second computers side bar. Use the “+” sign at bottom of side bar then ADVANCED to tidy up the side bar.

If in any step you don’t get things how I describe, detail what you are seeing, including screen shots.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Tamika David on 05 May, 2018 08:30 PM

The issue is with the second computer. My primary computer is fine. I did an export of the data from my primary and imported it to my secondary computer but unsure how to sync from my primary computer to the secondary computer.

--
    Tamika David, MSM, PMP
    615-686-5223

3. 3 Posted by Tamika David on 05 May, 2018 08:34 PM

Can you send me instructions how to start over?
    Also, the last time I worked with someone, the sync method was Dropbox Connection instead of folder. Is that the issue? Should it in a folder now?

--
    Tamika David, MSM, PMP
    615-686-5223

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 May, 2018 09:18 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

The best and most flexible option for syncing is called “Dropbox Folder”. However, if you did not purchase direct, but purchased through Apple, due to one of the restrictions Apply impose on Moneydance, you will have to use “Dropbox Connect”. Dropbox Folder requires you to download and install Dropbox Client on all your computers. This means you can see the Dropbox folder on your Hard Drive.

The following is an explanation given by Sean the software developer regarding these two syncing methods, Dropbox Folder and Dropbox Connection.

“With "Dropbox Connection" Moneydance uses the Dropbox API to talk to the Dropbox service directly. So, you don't need to have Dropbox client actually installed on your computer, but you do need to be online when Moneydance is running in order for changes to be synced. With "Drobox Folder" Moneydance will just read and write files to your Dropbox folder on your computer, which means that you need to have Dropbox client installed and running, but you don't need to be online in order for Moneydance to read and write the changes.”

Your second computer does not have the same data set as the primary computer. Its data set is created from data synced via Dropbox folder “.moneydancsync” created automatically by the primary computer. If you are using “Dropbox Connect” and don’t have Dropbox Client installed you can only view the folder Moneydance creates as part of syncing by logging into your Dropbox account. So, copying your primary computer data set to your second computer is a waste of time.

I have provided you with a procedure to reset syncing in this post http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/iphone-ipod-touch-ipad-and...

Simply follow that.

Hope this helps.

5. 5 Posted by Tamika David on 05 May, 2018 09:37 PM

Thank you for your help! I didn’t realize you were a user. I’ll go through the steps you outlined.
    Thank you again!

--
    Tamika David, MSM, PMP
    615-686-5223

6. System closed this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 09:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac