dropbox only allows 3 devices

Geoff Burks

17 Nov, 2019 04:39 AM

If you don't start supporting iCloud I am going to have to try a different program. I have 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and a MAC. that is 5 devices and I will not pay dropbox upgrade prices. I have seen the "we can use iCloud" claim on the web but it never works. When will you, or are you ever going to seriously go to iCloud?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 17 Nov, 2019 05:02 AM

I'm a fellow user.

As far as I am aware the Dropbox limit applies to those devices using the Dropbox application, this seems to be apparent by the experience of other users.

The Moneydance mobile application makes no use of the Dropbox application, so you do not need it installed for Moneydance use, and in such an instance should not count towards the Dropbox limit.

The use of the Dropbox application is optional with the Mac, its use will facilitate offline use of Moneydance on this platform.

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Nov, 2019 08:40 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Geoff

Just to reinforce the post by dwg..

The Dropbox restrictions maybe not as bad as they first sound.

The limit of 3 devices running Dropbox applications with a free account applies to the devices that can be connected to a Dropbox product itself, via official Dropbox applications, such as the official Dropbox desktop client or mobile applications.
    If your computers are using Dropbox Folder as a syncing method for Moneydance then as you have to have Dropbox Client installed, this count towards the limit. However, if you use Dropbox Connection and don’t have Dropbox Client installed, this does not count towards the limit. This limit does not apply to third party apps that connect to Dropbox via the Dropbox API, such as the Moneydance Mobile App. Your mobile devices would only count towards the limit if you had Dropbox official app installed on your mobile devices for another reason.

Hope this helps.

3. 3 Posted by Geoff Burks on 02 Dec, 2019 02:52 AM

Thank you derekkent23
    You are correct. I have tried what you said and it does work. Your kind support has helped me. Once again thanks.

[email blocked]

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Dec, 2019 07:58 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Geoff

Glad I was able to help.

Have Fun.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac