What version and build of Moneydance are you running on your two computers, e.g. 2019.4(1894)?
When you sync you have one primary computer, syncing set up under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) -SYNCING and one or more secondary computer, syncing set up under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) - NEW – SYNC – OPEN SYNCED FILE.
You can only change the syncing method on the primary computer data set. The same is true for any backups you restore using RESTORE FROM BACKUP, you can only change the syncing method on a restored primary data set.
Is it you’re restored from backup primary or secondary data set that is up to date.
I ask because the steps to get you back up and syncing depend on which you have.
I can provide step for either case. The need to convert a secondary data set to a primary data set and then reset syncing or just the need to reset syncing.
on 01 Dec, 2019 03:39 PM
Thanks for your feedback, but I’m confused.
It looks like my primary computer is my laptop, as this is the one that looks like it will sync to dropbox but the information it is months old. When I do a restore from backup to get the up to date information it will not then sync.
The sync settings window says:
Sync Method: Don’t Sync
Encription Passphrase Change Passphrase (greyed out) Show Passphrase
Both versions are showing 2019.3 (1880)
The problem started when I connected my iMac which has not been used for a long time due to moving house. Everything seemed to revert to old information.
I would really appreciate any help with solving this problem.
If with your up to date, data set (RESTORED FROM BACKUP) open in Moneydance, you cant change your sync method, you needs to convert this to a primary data set as follows.
To convert a secondary data set to a primary data set you need to run the attached script md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py in Moneydance 2019. Don’t worry it states 2017.
With your data set open click WINDOW - SHOW MONEYBOT CONSOLE use OPEN SCRIPT to select the script and click RUN. Close and reopen Moneydance. You should now be able to change the syncing method, leave it at Don’t Sync. Use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong.
Now you need to reset syncing as follows.
1. Mobile devices, use their setting menu to disconnect.
2. On your primary computer use FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong.
3. If you have a one or more secondary computers on each click on HELP (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your second computers data sets “yourdatasetname.moneydance”.
4. Assuming you have Dropbox client installed using your primary computer in the Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”. This can talk some time. Note on Mac “.moneydancesync” is hidden, try in your Finder window, typing CMD-Shift-G and then pasting ~/Dropbox/.moneydancesync/ into the box to unhide.
5. If you have one or more secondary computers check that in the Dropbox folder that the folder “.moneydancesync” has been automatically deleted. You need to give Dropbox a short time to complete this deletion.
6. On your primary computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder”, click OK.
7. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. Check the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”. This can take some time.
8. On each of your second computers wait until the same Dropbox folder appears, again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your secondary computers and wait till it states “Up to Date”.
9. On each or your secondary computers starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set”.
10. Select “Open Synced File” and use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT.
11. You should see a search screen headed “Select a synced document to open”
12. After a short search delay, it should then list your un-synced data set name used on your primary computer.
13. Highlight your data set name and click NEXT.
14. Enter the encryption password, the “Encryption Passphrase” you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING.
15. Then click on FINISH. Wait for your data to be synced.
You may find a lot of old, maybe closed accounts or other accounts you have removed from the side bar reappearing in the second computers side bar. Use the “+” sign at bottom of side bar then ADVANCED to tidy up the side bar.
16. Then sync your mobile devices.