Trying to change email and resend a replacement iPad.

William Gifford

06 Dec, 2019 03:38 PM

I havebeen dealing with Dropbox for a couple of weeks now to fix my problem without success. iPad will not sync and the process they suggest to change my email is very complicated and I am not a company computer tech but a single at home retired individual. Is there an easier way to sync my 3 devices over WiFi as I could live with that option and remove the dropbox. Please advise.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 06 Dec, 2019 03:54 PM

Hi William,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

The Wifi syncing option is no longer available with current versions of Moneydance. Although, we appreciate the email issue you came across, we definitely recommend Dropbox syncing as it's more stable, robust, and there were unfortunately some issues with Wifi syncing that we could't fix due to certain network configurations over which we have no control.
    As well, Dropbox syncing is end-to-end encrypted, meaning that all your data is encrypted between your Moneydance application and your Moneydance iOS app, with none of it being unencrypted on your Dropbox folder. For these reasons, we've stopped maintaining the Wifi syncing functionality, as we were unable to fix most problems with it.

Please find the steps for syncing with the mobile app, below:

Open Moneydance on the computer, to access the file you'd like to share. Choose File --> Syncing.

In this window you should pick a Dropbox sync method.
    If you choose 'Dropbox Connection', you'll be prompted to visit the Dropbox site and retrieve an authorisation code that you can enter into Moneydance.

You should also create and enter a syncing encryption password if you haven't already.

On your iPad, you can download the free Moneydance mobile app from the iOS App Store.

When you open the mobile app, click on the blue 'Dropbox' title and logo at the top of the screen. This will allow you to connect with Dropbox and access your sync files. You should pick the file you want to view, and enter the syncing encryption password to match the computer.

The steps to sync with a mobile device are also outlined in this article from the Knowledge base.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by William Gifford on 06 Dec, 2019 04:36 PM

I have been dealing with dropbox now for 2 weeks, not getting any where as I mentioned, I believe you are indicating that I should remain dealing with dropbox. If so and they do not get me back into service by December 16th I will cancel my moneydance service as it becomes useless I will want a refund on my recent purchase for upgrade. See my Lic # B22907379-XXXXXXX, please reply so I know this has been received and what to expect???

3. 3 Posted by Bill Gifford on 06 Dec, 2019 11:59 PM

This advice is not applicable to my situation, I had my 3 units already hocked up. I updated my iPhone about 2 years ago and it synced fine. I replaced my Mac prior to that no problem. I went to replace my iPad and change my email and discovered problems. Big problems, now l had 5 devices on my Dropbox account and only allowed 3. Went in to my Dropbox account and removed the old units after finding out these restrictions and that old units had to be removed manually. Also that changing my email required a intensive modification in Dropbox software. Do not feel up to that task and elected to keep the old, not what I really want causing me to keep it in service. Now the new iPad has been added but will not sync and the App for Dropbox on my Mac will not open even after reloading many times. There now please tell me I should be happy about my service, I believe I should be assisted on line with someone who knows what they are doing.please advise me of your intentions.
    Sent from my iPhone

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2019 10:31 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi William

I am not clear on the issue you are having with your email address. Are you saying you want to change the email address used by your Dropbox account to a new email address? If so, provided you have access to your online account using the old email address I can post an easy process to accomplish this. If you have done this and it hasn’t worked and you have lost access to your Dropbox account that may well be a Dropbox support issue.

My setup is 3 windows computers and two Android phones all of which run Moneydance and are synced using a free Dropbox account. I added a four-computer last week, how this is possible on a free account is outlined below.

The Dropbox restrictions maybe not as bad as they first sound.

The limit of 3 devices running Dropbox applications with a free account applies to the devices that can be connected to a Dropbox product itself, via official Dropbox applications, such as the official Dropbox desktop client or mobile applications.
    If your computer is using Dropbox Folder as a syncing method for Moneydance then as you have to have Dropbox Client installed, this count towards the limit. However, if you use Dropbox Connection and don’t have Dropbox Client installed, this does not count towards the limit. You don’t have to use the same sync method on all computers. If you are already syncing three computers using Dropbox Folder you can add extra computers using Dropbox connection without exceeding the 3-device limit. This limit does not apply to third party apps that connect to Dropbox via the Dropbox API (Application Program Interface), which is embedded in programs such as the Moneydance Mobile APP. Your mobile devices would only count towards the limit if you had Dropbox official app installed on your mobile devices for another reason.

Hope this helps.

5. 5 Posted by William Gifford on 07 Dec, 2019 04:43 PM

The restrictions are not my problem as I have only 3 devices and I removed the 2 extra that are not in service that were older devices that I replaced. I have put back all my devices to the old email but the new iPad will not sync. right now all I want for xmas is to get my iPad working with syncing. Then if I feel adventurous may consider changing email.

On Dec 7, 2019, at 05:31, derekkent23 <[email blocked]> wrote:

// Please reply above this line 
    ================================================== 

Hi William

I am not clear on the issue you are having with your email address. Are you saying you want to change the email address used by your Dropbox account to a new email address? If so, provided you have access to your online account using the old email address I can post an easy process to accomplish this. If you have done this and it hasn’t worked and you have lost access to your Dropbox account that may well be a Dropbox support issue.

My setup is 3 windows computers and two Android phones all of which run Moneydance and are synced using a free Dropbox account. I added a four-computer last week, how this is possible on a free account is outlined below.

The Dropbox restrictions maybe not as bad as they first sound.

The limit of 3 devices running Dropbox applications with a free account applies to the devices that can be connected to a Dropbox product itself, via official Dropbox applications, such as the official Dropbox desktop client or mobile applications. 
    If your computer is using Dropbox Folder as a syncing method for Moneydance then as you have to have Dropbox Client installed, this count towards the limit. However, if you use Dropbox Connection and don’t have Dropbox Client installed, this does not count towards the limit. You don’t have to use the same sync method on all computers. If you are already syncing three computers using Dropbox Folder you can add extra computers using Dropbox connection without exceeding the 3-device limit. This limit does not apply to third party apps that connect to Dropbox via the Dropbox API (Application Program Interface), which is embedded in programs such as the Moneydance Mobile APP. Your mobile devices would only count towards the limit if you had Dropbox official app installed on your mobile devices for another reason.

Hope this helps.

On Fri, Dec 06 at 03:59 PM PST, Bill Gifford wrote:

This advice is not applicable to my situation, I had my 3 units already hocked up. I updated my iPhone about 2 years ago and it synced fine. I replaced my Mac prior to that no problem. I went to replace my iPad and change my email and discovered problems. Big problems, now l had 5 devices on my Dropbox account and only allowed 3. Went in to my Dropbox account and removed the old units after finding out these restrictions and that old units had to be removed manually. Also that changing my email required a intensive modification in Dropbox software. Do not feel up to that task and elected to keep the old, not what I really want causing me to keep it in service. Now the new iPad has been added but will not sync and the App for Dropbox on my Mac will not open even after reloading many times. There now please tell me I should be happy about my service, I believe I should be assisted on line with someone who knows what they are doing.please advise me of your intentions. 
    Sent from my iPhone

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Trying to change email and resend a replacement iPad. .

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2019 05:02 PM

Hi William

OK I understand.

To make sure I post the correct sync reset procedure can you confirm your three devices.
    A Mac, what version and build of Moneydance is it running, e.g. 2019.3(1880)
    iPhone.
    ipad
    Have you installed Dropbox client on you Mac, i.e. you can see the Dropbox folder.

7. 7 Posted by William Gifford on 07 Dec, 2019 05:25 PM

Mac version 10.15.1, Moneydance version 2019.3 (1880), iPad & iPhone are 13.2.3, Dropbox APP is on Mac but when I try to open it the APP responds but nothing comes up, downloaded the a new PP but it reacts the same. I do not see any folder for Dropbox. but something must be there as the Mac and iPhone sync.

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2019 05:38 PM

Hi William

I should have asked one more question.

On your Mac if you look under MONEYDANCE – SYNCING what syncing method is selected Dropbox Folder or Dropbox Connection.
    The reason for the question is if you are using Dropbox Connection then Dropbox client, i.e. the Dropbox folder does not have to be installed on your Mac for syncing to work between your Mac and iPhone.

The syncing method you are using also affects the process I will post on how to reset syncing.

9. 9 Posted by William Gifford on 07 Dec, 2019 06:59 PM

Moneydance on Mac shows syncing using (Dropbox Folder)

10. 10 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2019 07:45 PM

Hi carey

OK, let try syncing with Dropbox Connection.

To resetting syncing proceed as follows.

1. In Moneydance do a MONEYDANCE – EXPORT BACKUP in case something goes wrong.

2. On your iPhone in Moneydance under setting disconnect. I assume your iPad is already disconnected.
    3. In Moneydance under MONEYDANCE – SYNCING set SYNC METHOD to DON’T SYNC, then click OK.
    4. Sign into you Dropbox account delete the “.moneydancsync” folder.
    5. On your computer under MONEYDANCE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to Dropbox Connection, click OK.
    6. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created in your online account. This can take some time.
    7. Start the Moneydance app on your two mobile devices in turn. You may be asked to sign in to your Dropbox account to allow Moneydance to access Dropbox if this is the first time the device has done this. When you are asked to select a file to sync you should see only your current data set listed. Select this to sync. You will then be asked to enter you Encryption Password, the passphrase you entered on your Mac under MONEYDANCE – SYNCING. The initial sync can take a long time.

Hope this helps

11. 11 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2019 11:00 PM

Hi carey

Disregard my last post. The following is a more detailed list of steps.

OK, let try syncing with Dropbox Connection.

To resetting syncing proceed as follows.
    1. In Moneydance do a MONEYDANCE – EXPORT BACKUP in case something goes wrong.
    2. On your iPhone in Moneydance under setting disconnect. I assume your iPad is already disconnected.
    3. In Moneydance under MONEYDANCE – SYNCING set SYNC METHOD to DON’T SYNC, then click OK.
    4. Sign into you Dropbox account delete the “.moneydancsync” folder.
    5. On your computer click MONEYDANCE – SYNCING, enter a “Encryption Passphrase” and set Sync method to Dropbox Connection.
    6. You should see dialog with “Authorise with Dropbox” button, click on this.
    7. If you are not already logged into your online Dropbox account you will be taken to your login screen. Log in.
    8. In you Dropbox account you will see “Moneydance would like access to the files and folders in your Dropbox” click ALLOW.
    9. An alphanumeric code will appear. Highlight it and Ctrl C to copy it.
    10. Go back to Moneydance and paste ( Ctrl V) the code into the Input Box and click OK and OK again.
    11. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created in your online account. This can take some time.
    12. Start the Moneydance app on your two mobile devices in turn. You may be asked to sign in to your Dropbox account to allow Moneydance to access Dropbox if this is the first time the device has done this. When you are asked to select a file to sync you should see only your current data set listed. Select this to sync. You will then be asked to enter you Encryption Password, the passphrase you entered on your Mac under MONEYDANCE – SYNCING. The initial sync can take a long time.

Hope this helps

12. 12 Posted by William Gifford on 12 Dec, 2019 02:26 AM

OK, not getting anywhere with this, the directions you give me do not match what I am facing here. I followed what you gave me but the steps you show do not match what I am getting. Biggest change is the process in my IOS portion. The computer set up is already in place but I proceeded through it anyway. The Dropbox APP is already in the iPad and when I open the moneydance on the iPad the data appears to the last entry that was on the old iPad, and will not update not syncing.

13. 13 Posted by derekkent23 on 12 Dec, 2019 08:04 AM

Hi William

Strange.

It would help me to understand what is happening if you can edit and post the 12 step process so it details exactly what you are seeing. Remember I can't see what you are seeing.

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Sean Reilly on 12 Dec, 2019 11:17 AM

Hi William,

Would you be open to join me in a screen sharing session so that we can get this resolved quickly? You would need to be present at your computer and have full control over the connection. We will be able to see your screen while we talk through what is happening and how to solve it.

If that would be ok, please let us know what dates/times work best for you as well as your time zone.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

15. 15 Posted by William Gifford on 12 Dec, 2019 02:57 PM

Acceptable and would be very helpful, please proceed but I will have to be contacted prior to event so I am available.

Bill Gifford at ([email blocked] <mailto:[email blocked]>) (613-408-2299)

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by Sean Reilly on 12 Dec, 2019 03:15 PM

Hi Bill,

That's great, and no problem. Let's get a time scheduled. What dates and times would work for you, and what is your time zone?

Thanks,
    Sean

17. 17 Posted by William Gifford on 12 Dec, 2019 03:31 PM

Central Toronto zone, Available with 30 min notice today and tomorrow at my mobile 613 408 2299 so I can be at my PC and iPad. The mobile also has sync but it still works even though I replaced a year ago with no mod’s required and works fine, iPad did not. when you contact me at PC the best # would be 613-838 2299 if required.

18. 18 Posted by derekkent23 on 12 Dec, 2019 07:25 PM

Hi William, Sean, after trying to help would be interested in knowing what the issue turns out to be.

Thanks.

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by Sean Reilly on 13 Dec, 2019 12:20 PM

Hi William,

OK, let's connect at 9am your time. At that time, on your PC, can you please run the TeamViewer QS app which downloads from the following link? Once that's running I can send you a prompt to begin screen sharing.
     https://get.teamviewer.com/tikhelp

Thanks,
    Sean

20. 20 Posted by William Gifford on 13 Dec, 2019 02:07 PM

Waiting at PC

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by Sean Reilly on 13 Dec, 2019 02:09 PM

Hi William,
    Can you download and run the teamviewer app from this link?
    https://get.teamviewer.com/tikhelp

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

22. Support Staff 22 Posted by Sean Reilly on 13 Dec, 2019 02:18 PM

Hi William,

Can you send me a message using the mac Messages app to the address sreilly (at) infinitekind.com?

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

23. Support Staff 23 Posted by Sean Reilly on 13 Dec, 2019 03:42 PM

Hi William,

It was great talking to you just now, and I'm sorry it took us so long but glad that it's now resolved.

Derek, it turned out that his iPad had seemingly become de-authorised with dropbox. We disconnected it and re-authorised and was able to get the syncing on the iPad working properly again.

Thanks!
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

24. Sean Reilly closed this discussion on 13 Dec, 2019 03:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac