Too COMPLICATED w/o step by directions

bizwdf

24 Dec, 2019 08:01 PM

I initially got syncing to work with my android cell phone then moneydance (Version 2019.3) hit a fault (caused, I believe, by Quicken) and I had to import a backup copy of my register, which worked fine. But since then I can't get Moneydance to sync with my Android. The instructions on the knowledge base is VERY complicated!! I didn't know what I did the first time that I get it working and now I am so confused I'm giving up on syncing. There should by a step by step instructions to complete syncing for dummies like me. I like Moneydance but am extremely disappointed that there is not simplistic step by step instructions (another hint!) to do this. There has to be a better, and more simplistic, way to do this. I need something like: 1. download dropbox to your computer 2. Install dropbox 3. download dropbox to your cell phone 4. etc. I really liked the sync feature and would like to have very simplistic & correct & detailed instructions in step by step order from 1st step to last step in order. Thank you all for your patience with me in this matter.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 24 Dec, 2019 10:25 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi William

The syncing link was broken when you restored your backup.

I would recommend resetting syncing as follows.

1. In Moneydance do a FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – EXPORT BACKUP in case something goes wrong.
    2. On your phone in Moneydance under setting disconnect.
    3. In Moneydance under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SYNCING ensure is set SYNC METHOD is DON’T SYNC, then click OK.
    4. Assuming you have Dropbox client installed using your computer in the Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”. This can talk some time. Note on Mac “.moneydancesync” is hidden, try in your Finder window, typing CMD-Shift-G and then pasting ~/Dropbox/.moneydancesync/ into the box to unhide. If you don’t have Dropbox client installed or you find it easier you will need to sign into you Dropbox account and delete “.moneydancsync” from there.
    5. On your computer under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac)- SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to the method you used before, click OK.
    6. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. Check the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”. This can take some time.
    7. Start the Moneydance app on your phone. You may be asked to sign in to your Dropbox account to allow Moneydance to access Dropbox if this is the first time the device has done this. The mobile app will search for your data set to sync. On the completion of the search you should see your current data set listed. Select this to sync. You will then be asked to enter you Encryption Password, the passphrase you entered on your computer FILE – SYNCING. After you have entered the password click BEGIN SYNCING. The initial sync can take a long time.

Hope this helps.

2. System closed this discussion on 24 Mar, 2020 10:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac