Problem starting sync

David Smith

28 Mar, 2020 03:54 PM

When I try to start the Sync from my Windows 10 PC to my iPad I get the following message:

"Authorization error. Dropbox Server Exception (nginx) 400 Bad Request (v1 retired)"

Can you tell me how to get over this?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 28 Mar, 2020 04:58 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi David

What version/build of Moneydance are you running, e.g. 2019.4(1904).

I seem to remember the message you are seeing indicates that Dropbox retired its v1 version of its API which necessities an upgrade of Moneydance.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 28 Mar, 2020 08:30 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The Dropbox connection problem is detailed in the Knowledge Base article:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/older-versions/dropbox-connection-problems

3. 3 Posted by david smith on 29 Mar, 2020 10:41 PM

I have now upgraded Moneydance to the latest version and have got to the stage where Dropbox asks me to "allow" the sync and gives me a long code to copy to Moneydance. However the Moneydance program will not allow me to copy it into the input box provided so that I can proceed. Am I missing something?

Regards

David

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ethan on 29 Mar, 2020 10:50 PM

Hello David,

Can you clarify exactly where you are seeing this "long code?" Is it on the desktop of mobile version? In general, there shouldn't be any long codes, unless you've set a long password, or are trying to activate the older wifi version of syncing.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 30 Mar, 2020 09:49 AM

Hi David.

This is the process I use on my windows computer to setup syncing using the Dropbox Connection syncing method. Give it a go.

Moneydance - Syncing using the syncing method Dropbox Connection.
    Primary computer
    1. On your primary computer click FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SYNCING, enter a “Encryption Passphrase” and set Sync method to Dropbox Connection.
    2. You should see dialog with “Authorise with Dropbox” button, click on this.
    3. If you are not already logged into your online Dropbox account you will be taken to your login screen. Log in.
    4. In you Dropbox account you will see “Moneydance would like access to the files and folders in your Dropbox” click ALLOW.
    5. An alphanumeric code (long code) will appear. Highlight it and Ctrl C to copy it.
    6. Go back to Moneydance and paste ( Ctrl V) the code into the Input Box and click OK and OK again.

You can now set up syncing on your iPad.

If you still have problem with the setup on your computer, use the Dropbox Folder syncing method, assuming you have Dropbox client installed, that is you can see the Dropbox folder in File Explorer. This method is simpler to set up, no long code, and has other advantages.

Hope this helps.

6. 6 Posted by david smith on 31 Mar, 2020 05:10 PM

Hi Ethan

I think I have now managed to upload a Moneydance file to Dropbox from my Windows 10 laptop, but I now have a problem setting up the sync on my ipad.

It says “ to sync, start Moneydance on your desktop and add the Network Synchronizer extension”. How do I do this?

Regards

David Smith

Sent from my iPad

On 29 Mar 2020, at 23:50, Ethan <[email blocked]> wrote:

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Mar, 2020 05:58 PM

Hi David

The reference to Network Synchronizer extension you see is only used if you are syncing to very old versions of Moneydance.
    When you are syncing to a computer running 2019 hopefully you should also see a Dropbox symbol click on that.

Hope this helps.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Ethan on 31 Mar, 2020 07:17 PM

Hello,

Just to clarify, in the initial screen on your iPad, don't click on the small wifi icon in the corner of the screen, as this activates the older and no longer supported version of syncing. Instead, tap the Dropbox icon on that screen, and continue with the rest of the setup instructions: https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/sync...

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac