Dropbox files and sync, delete old data?

Nick

13 Jun, 2020 04:59 PM

My Dropbox is telling me I'm running out of space and I'm trying to clean it up vs. spend $$ for more space. Looking through my folders for MD I see a folder labeled V3. Can I safely go back and remove old sync files? Any other tips to reduce the size of the MD folder on my Dropbox? Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 13 Jun, 2020 06:39 PM

Hello,

In general, if you are syncing your data through Dropbox, you should not delete anything within the .moneydance sync folder. Can you clarify which version of Moneydance you are using? We made improvements in the 2019 version that should reduce the amount of file space the program uses.

Those folders should generally have many files in them, but their file size should be tiny, so overall it shouldn't be taking up much space as a whole.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Nick on 13 Jun, 2020 07:17 PM

Thanks Ethan,

I'm showing 2017.8 for my version. I can't see the size of my MD folder somehow in Dropbox but when I sort by size it is the largest. The next smaller folder I have 5.8mb and that's larger than everything else. I have 3TB in my Dropbox so the MD must me quite large if I'm using over 80% of my avail storage.

I also have iCloud with a lot more storage, I haven't check but can I migrate my sync there?

3. 3 Posted by Nick on 13 Jun, 2020 07:23 PM

One more follow up, was able to calculate the size and one folder is 2.4GB, I crossed out the files names but that's the culprit.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ethan on 13 Jun, 2020 07:45 PM

It looks like you last purchased an upgrade to the 2017 version of Moneydance, which allows you to upgrade to the 2019 version for free. Since that's the case, I'd recommend you install that version (http://infinitekind.com/downloads), which should accept your current license key. As I mentioned, we made improvements in the 2019 version that should reduce the amount of file space the program uses. If after installing the file sizes seem to remain the same, let me know and we can try to reset your syncing system, which should be recreated with a smaller file size.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by Nick on 13 Jun, 2020 09:15 PM

Thanks again, downloaded new version and synced but still shows to 2.44GB for the moment. Also meant to say my Dropbox has 3GB of space earlier, not TB.

Should I give it some time to see if the size comes down?

6. 6 Posted by Nick on 17 Jun, 2020 06:03 PM

The V3 folder is till hovering around 2.5GB, any chance we can look more into this? Thanks!

7. 7 Posted by Nick on 21 Jun, 2020 09:26 PM

Bueller? Ferris? :)

8. 8 Posted by Nick on 12 Jul, 2020 06:24 PM

Checking in...any updates please Ethan?

9. 9 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Jul, 2020 05:37 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Nick

Some more detail about your set up could show a way forward.

As you talk about iCloud, I presume you are an Apple user.
    Can you list the devices in your setup, computers, phones tables and their operating systems?
    It sounds like you are now running Moneydance 2019 on all your computers, can you confirm. E.g. 2019.3(1880)
    What syncing method are you using Dropbox Folder or Dropbox Connection.

10. 10 Posted by Nick on 14 Jul, 2020 03:14 AM

Hey Derek, yep all Apple and using a folder vs. connection.

11. 11 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Jul, 2020 06:53 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Nick.

As you did not list the devices in your setup, I can’t answer one of you question, that is, is it possible to use iCloud, other than to say it can’t be used if you use mobile devices.

In your situation I would reset syncing as follows to see if it helps.

When you sync you have one primary computer, syncing set up under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) -SYNCING and one or more secondary computer, syncing set up under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) - NEW – OPEN SYNCED FILE. The syncing method on a secondary cannot be changed. Make sure your data set on your primary computer is up to date, all transactions synced.

1. If you have mobile devices use their setting menu to disconnect.
    2. Set primary computer “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SYNCING, then click OK.
    3. On your primary computer use FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong.
    4. If you have a one or more secondary computers on each click on HELP (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your second computers data sets “yourdatasetname.moneydance”.
    5. Assuming you have Dropbox client installed using your primary computer in the Dropbox folder copy the folder “.moneydancesync” to your hard drive then delete it from Dropbox. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”. This can talk some time. Note on Mac “.moneydancesync” is hidden, try in your Finder window, typing CMD-Shift-G and then pasting ~/Dropbox/.moneydancesync/ into the box to unhide. If you can’t find “.monydancesync” you will need to sign into you Dropbox account and from here copy the folder “.moneydancesync” to your hard drive then delete it from Dropbox.
    6. If you have one or more secondary computers check that in the Dropbox folder that the folder “.moneydancesync” has been automatically deleted. You need to give Dropbox a short time to complete this deletion.
    7. On your primary computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder”, click OK.
    8. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. Check the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”. This can take some time.
    9. If you don’t have one or more secondary computers skip to step 18.
    10. On each of your second computers wait until the same Dropbox folder appears, again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your secondary computers and wait till it states “Up to Date”.
    11. On each or your secondary computers starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set”.
    12. Select “Open Synced File” and use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT.
    13. You should see a search screen headed “Select a synced document to open”
    14. After a short search delay, it should then list your un-synced data set name used on your primary computer.
    15. Highlight your data set name and click NEXT.
    16. Enter the encryption password, the “Encryption Passphrase” you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING.
    17. Then click on FINISH. Wait for your data to be synced.
      You may find a lot of old, maybe closed accounts or other accounts you have removed from the side bar reappearing in the second computers side bar. Use the “+” sign at bottom of side bar then ADVANCED to tidy up the side bar.
    18. if you have mobile devices sync then in the normal way.

If after doing all this your “moneydancesync” folder is still abnormally large it could be worth posting your errlog.txt file. There may be an issue with your data set.
    With Moneydance closed on your primary computer the errlog.txt file on a Mac is located at one of these locations within your Home folder:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt or:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder you can open Finder and hold down the option key while selecting the Go menu and the Library folder option should occur or you can open Finder and select Go -> Go to Folder and copy and paste in the following:
    ~/Library This should pull up your local Library folder.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac