Retrieving file after PC crash

netwlim

29 Jul, 2020 02:55 AM

I have been running moneydance on a windows laptop synced through dropbox to moneydance app on my Iphone. My windows laptop just crashed irrecoverably due to a motherboard issue. I tried to install and run moneydance on a macbook air but am having problem recovering my latest moneydance file. Not sure if its a version issue but I am not getting the latest data file and seem to be getting a corrupted or old data. Even my iphone is now not syncing to the correct file. Can someone help me recover my latest file?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 29 Jul, 2020 09:34 PM

Hello,

Do you remember which version of Moneydance you were using on the laptop that crashed?

If it was a recent version, you should be able to restore your data by setting up your other computer for syncing: https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/sync.... Try starting with the paragraph that begins with "On your second system..."

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by netwlim on 30 Jul, 2020 08:18 AM

Moneydance on my Macbook is version 2019.3(1880). I am not sure version on the crashed PC but I have been very diligent in updating to new version on the previous PC every time one is available. I tried syncing using dropbox connection but only seem to be getting a 2017 data file to select. If moneydance version is not the same on PC and Mac computers, does it mean my data file is not retrievable and may have been overwritten. I thought dropbox has a way of retrieving deleted files. Does moneydance have the same version available for windows and mac? Or should I just try getting access to a windows PC and trying to retrieve my files. Thanks.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 30 Jul, 2020 08:06 PM

Hello,

The Moneydance version matters because if you were using a significantly older version of the program, there wouldn't be a complete data file to sync with in Dropbox. However, since you were able to sync with something in Dropbox, even if it was an old file, pretty conclusively indicates that you were using a new enough version of the program that your data should be there.

This process should be completely independent of which operating system you are using.

Did you previously have Moneydance installed on this Mac? One possibility is that when you opened it, it started with an older data file, and has then tried to sync that older file with your phone. Do you see other data files listed in the File -> Open menu?

Can you attach a screenshot of the contents of your .moneydancesync folder in your Dropbox account? We may be able to see if there's another data file in there. If you're not sure how to take a screenshot, please see http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by netwlim on 31 Jul, 2020 03:21 AM

Ethan

This is the screen shot of the moneydance files on dropbox.

Thank you.

Wilson

5. 5 Posted by netwlim on 03 Aug, 2020 06:45 AM

I was able to retrieve files from hard disk of windows PC that crashed.
    Will I be able to open the moneydance file on the PC hard disk and run it
    on a mac. Do I need to convert first? How do I do it? Any help files on
    how to do this?

Thank you.

Wilson Lim

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 03 Aug, 2020 06:53 AM

I'm a fellow user.

The data sets are identical across all platforms no conversion is required.

7. 7 Posted by netwlim on 03 Aug, 2020 07:45 AM

Thanks. Would you know how to find the moneydance file on my windows hard
    disk? Can't find it. Seems to be buried deep inside some folder? I tried
    to search for *.moneydance but can't find anything.

W Lim

8. 8 Posted by dwg on 03 Aug, 2020 09:03 AM

I'm a fellow user..

Moneydance files are not buried on Windows, what does confuse people though is that the Moneydance 'file' is actually a folder and the data is stored within this and other folders underneath it, so it is not a single file.

Assuming you have not moved your data set the default locations are outlined in:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/default-file-location

9. 9 Posted by netwlim on 08 Aug, 2020 05:36 AM

If someone can help me retrieve my moneydance data through a phone or screen sharing, I am willing to pay.

Summary of my problem.
    1) My old windows PC crashed. I forgot what moneydance version it was running but in the past I usually update to latest version right away. I have the hard disk of the old windows PC. I also previously sync moneydance through dropbox and run on my iphone.

2) I installed moneydance (version 2019.3 (1880) on a Mac computer and am trying to retrieve my previous data file.

3) I tried opening a new moneydance file by browsing through my old PC hard disk but cannot find it. I tried folder C:/username/.moneydance and find anything. The only folder with moneydance files is in c:/program files folder but none can be opened as data file.

4) I also tried opening a new moneydance file by browsing through my dropbox folder. There is a moneydance folder in my dropbox but none of the files can be opened as data.

Can someone help?
    Wilson

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac