Sync with iPad using OneDrive instead of Dropbox

Roger Gray

29 Oct, 2020 08:03 AM

The only reason I still use Dropbox is to keep Moneydance synced with my iPad. For me, Onedrive is so much better. Can I, instead, use a shared folder in Onedrive to keep Moneydance in sync on the iPad? If so what is the best way to make the switch?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 29 Oct, 2020 08:12 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Both IOS and Android based mobile devices require the use of Dropbox for syncing at the present time. In both cases the mobile apps are using an API to sync the data, and the API is the Dropbox one, the mobile application does not have the ability to use shared folders, I suspect this dates back to earlier mobile devices.

2. 2 Posted by jeff_l on 29 Oct, 2020 11:04 AM

Remember it’s not necessary to have the Dropbox software on any of your computers. I’ve been syncing for years with MD across all 3 Operating Systems & Mobile devices Apple & Android, without any visible sign of Dropbox on any of my systems, by using Dropbox connection.

If you are a Mac user & purchased MD off the Apple App store (not to be recommended) you only have the Dropbox Connection option.

Like you, when I first used MD I thought it was absurd to have Dropbox installed just to sync one application.

You will often read that it’s better to have the Dropbox client installed, as you don’t need to be on the Internet. I think that concept is somewhat outdated, as these days when are you not on the Internet. Even if I am offline, when I next startup MD it does its sync very quickly.

However, it is great that MD offers so many different working configurations.

You can of course use your Onedrive as a Backup Destination. But your working Data Set must always be on your local hard disk.

Fellow user

3. 3 Posted by Scott on 01 Nov, 2020 04:25 PM

With Dropbox having recently introduced (or greatly reduced) limits on the free / basic options, I'd rather just walk away from them altogether. Moneydance is the only thing I use Dropbox for, and while I'd personally prefer iCloud Drive to OneDrive, any alternative would be preferable to Dropbox.

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Nov, 2020 05:29 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Scott

The Dropbox restrictions maybe not as bad as they first sound.
    The limit of 3 devices running Dropbox applications with a free account applies to the devices that can be connected to a Dropbox product itself, via official Dropbox applications, such as the official Dropbox desktop client or mobile applications.

If your computers are using Dropbox Folder as a syncing method for Moneydance then as you have to have Dropbox Client installed, this count towards the limit. However, if you use Dropbox Connection and don’t have Dropbox Client installed, this does not count towards the limit. This limit does not apply to third party apps that connect to Dropbox via the Dropbox API. This includes the Dropbox Application Program Interface that is embedded in Moneydance mobile. Your mobile devices would only count towards the limit if you had Dropbox official app installed on your mobile devices for another reason.

If you want to sync to Mobile devices you have to use Dropbox. If you only want to sync between computer’s then you can use a cloud server. I have tested OneDrive, Google Drive, Box.com and pCloud, they all work using Moneydance sync method Shared Folder. Not being an Apple user, I can’t test iCloud.

Hope this helps.

5. 5 Posted by Scott on 02 Nov, 2020 02:48 AM

I appreciate the tip, but it doesn't really change my feelings on the matter - these limitations (it seems they've been around a while and I just encountered them) are just another headache I have to manage and another reason I want to get away from Dropbox. I thought about paying for an account, but I can't believe how much money they want for something Apple, Google, Microsoft, and a lot of others offer for free . . . not to mention the rather unwelcome changes they started rolling out and then quickly walked back a little over a year ago.

I'm on a Mac, syncing to an iOS device, and would love to have some alternatives.

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Nov, 2020 08:27 AM

In am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Scott

I certainly would not pay for a Dropbox account. You can sync as many computers, Mac, Windows, Linux as well as iOS and Android devices as you like for free within Moneydance.
    If you want to sync to the Moneydance's mobile app for iOS and Android devices Dropbox at the moment the only game in town. Sean has talk about adding iCloud but it proving difficult.

Hope this helps.

7. 7 Posted by Francisco on 07 Nov, 2020 06:30 AM

Does anyone know if there is a timeline for iCloud sync? You have my vote!!!

8. 8 Posted by aeibling on 13 Dec, 2020 05:30 PM

Allow me to add to this request.
    I only use Dropbox to sync my Moneydance files across my iOS devices, and it uses over a half gig of RAM.
    There are many other, better, file sharing options that don't hog so much memory.

Hope the developers make a change in the future.

9. 9 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Dec, 2020 08:33 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi aeibling

Strange. I have never had a RAM memory issue with Dropbox. I am currently running 2021(2012) with 3 windows computers, a Linux computer and 2 Android phones.

I have also tested just syncing between computers using the Shared Folder method comparing Dropbox to other clouds servers OneDrive, Google Drive, Box.com and pCloud and there is little difference and they all work equally well. Dropbox being faster along with pCloud as they have the ability to sync between local computers on a Lan. Of these only Dropbox and pCloud officially support Windows, Mac and Linux. So a free Dropbox account works well for me at least.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM
17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM
17 Jan, 2021 10:49 PM