Syncing to Moneydance from Android phone

Chris Hudson

01 Nov, 2020 04:41 PM

I entered another help ticket but there was no response. Here I go again:

I upgraded to a newer windows computer. Moved my files over, fresh install of moneydance, imported the data, all good.

The app was still connecting to the file on the old computer. I unauthorized moneydance's access to my Dropbox account hoping a fresh install and reboot would work.

I set up syncing using a Dropbox connection on the desktop and set the sync password. Reinstalled the app and... nothing. The familiar black screen and "No folders found".

I've followed all of the steps of moving to a new computer and syncing on the Infinite Kind's help website. Can someone please help? I came to Moneydance from Quicken because the syncing on the Quicken side didn't work. Now here I am again. If this is a known issue that can't be fixed, I'm open to suggestions for new financial software! Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Nov, 2020 05:20 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Chris

I am syncing between two windows 10 computers, a Linux computer and two Android phones without any issues. One Android is an old phone running Android 6 the other Android 10. If your phone is Android 7.1.1 or above I suggest your install the Moneydance Beta App on your phone.

If your still have the existing app installed then on your phone under SETTINGS – APPS – MONEYDANCE - APP DETAILS IN STORE look to become a beta tester for Moneydance and install. Or if not installed look in the app store for Moneydance then select to become a Beta tester and install.

The following assumes you have Dropbox client installed on your computer, that is you can see the Dropbox folder in explorer.

Try resetting syncing proceed as follows.

1. In Moneydance do a FILE – EXPORT BACKUP in case something goes wrong.

2. On your Android in Moneydance App under setting make sure you are disconnect.

3. In Moneydance on your computer under FILE – SYNCING set SYNC METHOD to DON’T SYNC, then click OK.

4. In your Dropbox folder rename the “.moneydancsync” folder to “.moneydancesync_old”.

5. On your computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to Dropbox Folder, click OK.

6. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created, Dropbox icon states up to date. This can take some time.

7. Start the Moneydance app on your Android. You may be asked to sign in to your Dropbox account to allow Moneydance to access Dropbox if this is the first time the device has done this. The mobile app will search for your data set to sync. On the completion of the search you should see your current data set listed. Select this to sync. You will then be asked to enter you Encryption Password, the passphrase you entered on your computer FILE – SYNCING. After you have entered the password click BEGIN SYNCING. The initial sync can take a long time.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Chris Hudson on 01 Nov, 2020 07:03 PM

Thanks for the effort! I tried your steps and it still doesn't work. The problem is the app on my phone. It opens to a blank screen and reports that "No folder found."

So disappointing. Open to other financial software suggestions as it seems this is a known issue without any singular fix forthcoming...

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Nov, 2020 07:18 PM

Hi Chris

As far as I know there is no known issue with Moneydance syncing. This site would be flooded with unresolved syncing issues, if there were a known issue.

Are you sure you followed the instruction exactly? Did you install the Android Beta on your phone? Did you use the syncing method Dropbox Folder?

Also check that your computer when you set it up to sync after renaming the “.moneydancesync” folder in Dropbox has created an alphanumeric folder in the “.moneydancesync” folder.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Nov, 2020 07:29 PM

Hi Chris

If you still have problems close then reopen Moneydance wait one minute and close Moneydance and post your Moneydance errlog.txt file.

If you're using Mac OS, it should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt or:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder you can open Finder and hold down the option key while selecting the Go menu and the Library folder option should occur or you can open Finder and select Go -> Go to Folder and copy and paste in the following:
    ~/Library This should pull up your local Library folder.
    If you're using Windows, it should be located under your login directory at:
    C:\Users(yourusername).moneydance\errlog.txt
    or
    C:\Documents and Settings(yourusername).moneydance\errlog.txt
    Depending on your version of Windows
    If you're using Linux it should be located in your home folder at:
    ~/.moneydance/errlog.txt

Hope this helps.

5. 5 Posted by Chris Hudson on 01 Nov, 2020 08:29 PM

I installed and reinstalled the Beta on my phone. I followed the instructions exactly twice but will try again later with an absolute clean install on both devices to make sure. There is no syncing method labeled "Dropbox Folder." There is only "Dropbox Connection" and "Shared Folder". I assume in your message your meant "Dropbox Connection"?

Error File below. From what I see there are no errors on the computer side. I believe the issue is with the phone installation and the apps connection, not the computer connection as that seems to be working as advertised.

Starting Moneydance 2021 (2008) at Sun Nov 01 15:22:38 EST 2020
    Settings Folder: C:\Users\plane\.moneydance
    Java: 15.0.1 (AdoptOpenJDK)
    Is in sandbox: false; restricted file access: false
    creatingURLStreamHandler for protocol 'moneydanceextloader'
    initialized extension balpred in 0.016 seconds
    creatingURLStreamHandler for protocol 'http'
    initialized extension moneyforesight in 0.659 seconds
    multires images not supported: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun/awt/image/MultiResolutionImage.class
    initialized extension updater in 0.014 seconds
    Initializing fonts:
     preferred: [[Dialog, SansSerif, Dialog]]
     mono: [[Gill Sans, Monospaced]]
    fonts resolved:
     default: Dialog:12.0:style0
     mono: Gill Sans:12.0:style0
     header: Dialog:14.0:style0
     register: Dialog:11.0:style0
     reportTitle: Dialog:32.0:style0
     calendarTitle: Dialog:11.0:style0
     reportHeader: Dialog:10.0:style0
     detailTitle: Dialog:14.0:style0
    Setting look and feel class to com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel
    opening last file: mainfile
    loading dataset: C:\Users\plane\.moneydance\Documents\mainfile.moneydance
    loading with 128 bit encryption key
    reading trunk data tiksync/trunk
    trunk data loaded (0.1 seconds), checking for incremental updates
    loading un-synced txn files...
    loading synced txn files...
    replacing root: null () with new root: Personal Finances (c5d3e85c-741d-4741-9497-8978a17d10a8
    creatingURLStreamHandler for protocol 'https'
    error creating base folder: com.dropbox.core.v2.files.CreateFolderErrorException: Exception in 2/files/create_folder: {".tag":"path","path":{".tag":"conflict","conflict":"folder"}}
    starting syncing via encryptedFS(DropboxAPI:/.moneydancesync/aaa63a7f-f3ab-4b52-a02b-d5c1e23b9df5)
    Beginning shutdown process
    waiting for background tasks to complete...
    Writing file to dropbox API with debug mode=false
    Shutting down syncing for file
    Compacting old transaction logs
    backing up file...
    saving automatic backup file: C:\Users\plane\Google Drive\Backup\Moneydance\mainfile.2020-11-01.moneydancearchive
    finished backing up file; now to remove expired backups...
    completed removal of expired backups
    Tasks complete. Goodbye!

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 01 Nov, 2020 08:48 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Dropbox Folder will only be an option if you have installed the Dropbox Client and have configured it to use a Dropbox folder in the default location.

There does appear to be a Dropbox related error in your log. It is not one that I have seen before and I do not know what it means, someone else may understand it:

error creating base folder: com.dropbox.core.v2.files.CreateFolderErrorException: Exception in 2/files/create_folder: {".tag":"path","path":{".tag":"conflict","conflict":"folder"}}

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Nov, 2020 08:51 PM

I am not support staff, just user.
    Hi Chris

There can be two reasons why Dropbox Folder would not appear as a syncing method under FILE – SYNCING.

1. You have not installed Dropbox client on your computer. The result of which is using explorer you can’t see the Dropbox folder in the path C:\Users\plane\Dropbox
    2. You have not installed Dropbox client in the default location on your C drive C:\Users\plane\Dropbox you may have installed Dropbox client in another location or on another drive.

In both cases this would explain why you cant see the sync method Dropbox Folder.

Can you take a look?

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Nov, 2020 10:22 PM

I am not support staff, just user.
    Hi Chris

In your first post you state “I unauthorized Moneydance’s access to my Dropbox account hoping a fresh install and reboot would work.”

As part of setting up Syncing anew did you reauthorizes the Moneydance app?

Within the Dropbox cloud account check moneydance is authorized, see screen shot.

Like you I am using 2021(2008) with a more extensive setup using Dropbox Folder. Two windows 10 computers, a Linux computer and two Android phones without any issues.
    As a test I created a new data set and synced a windows 10 to my Android beta using Dropbox Connection without any issues.

Hope this helps

9. 9 Posted by Chris Hudson on 01 Nov, 2020 11:20 PM

Thank you all for your help in trying to get my app working! I did just install Dropbox and now I have selected "Dropbox Folder". So that's something!

The app still behaves as previously described though.

Yes, on the dropbox side, Moneydance is a connected app and appears as the screenshot above.

Now that I'm properly set up with Dropbox, perhaps I will try yet another clean install of both the application and the phone app to see if things line up? Sigh.

10. 10 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Nov, 2020 11:46 AM

I am not support staff just a user.
    Hi Chris

Decided to test as if I was a new user.

Deleted “.moneydancesync” folder in Dropbox.
    In Dropbox in the cloud I DISCONNECTED the Moneydance app.

There is a bug for new users in 2021, in fact it exists in 2020 as well. 2019 works OK

As part of setting up Moneydance Dropbox Folder, if there is not one already, Moneydance should create the folder “.moneydancesync” in Dropbox. It does not, this is a bug. You can’t get passed OK after setting up the sync password and selecting Dropbox Folder. As an existing user my “.moneydancesync” folder existed hence I did not see the bug. 2019 creates the folder. Creating the folder in explorer manually in Dropbox also allows Dropbox Folder to work.

Another trap. With the mobile app installed if you then in Dropbox in the cloud DISCONNECTED the Moneydance app you will find that on opening the mobile app it reports NO FOLDERS FOUND. The reason is Dropbox is not allowing access by the Mobile app. The only way to re-establish access is to uninstall the Mobile app and reinstall. Part of the install process take you to Dropbox and asks you to sign in and go through the process to allowing the Moneydance API to connect.

Both of these issues reported to Sean, the Moneydance developer. He is working on it.

Until a fix, I suggest you create the “.moneydancesync” folder in Dropbox manually using explorer and make sure the mobile Moneydance app has access as indicated by the screen shot.

Thing should then work.

Hope this helps.

11. Melissa closed this discussion on 27 Nov, 2020 02:24 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

18 Jan, 2021 12:26 AM
17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM
17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM