Moneydance 2021 Windows slow to sync via Dropbox

steve

09 Nov, 2020 09:18 PM

I'm a long time user of Moneydance for Windows and currently have version 2021 build 2006. I sync with mine and my wife's iPhones using the Dropbox connection and also used to use an iPad which probably hasn't connected for around 12 months.

I have noticed recently (but probably at least since version 2020) that the initial sync when I load Moneydance on my Windows 10 PC is slow, and when closing Moneydance it also takes a long time to sync and close down. My PC is quite fast with SSD and 16Gb RAM but Moneydance takes 10 seconds to load and a further 55 seconds to display the Sync Finished message.

I looked on Dropbox and the V3 folder has 4692 files, dates starting as far back as June 2017 almost every day through to today. It seems that they are not getting cleared down.

I assume that this is the cause of my slow performance - can anyone tell me how to clear them down and improve my sync times?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Nov, 2020 08:36 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Steve

The only safe way is to reset syncing and start a new sync.
    If you are not sure how to do this just say and I will post a process.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by steve on 10 Nov, 2020 03:28 PM

Thanks, that would be helpful if you can post it please

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Nov, 2020 05:03 PM

Hi Steve

The following is based on my understanding you have one windows computer set to sync using the sync method Dropbox Connection, 2 iPhones and one iPad in your sync setup. If this is not the case please post again.

Reset syncing

Make sure your windows computer has synced all the transactions from your mobile devices and thus up to date.

To resetting syncing proceed as follows.

1. In Moneydance do a MONEYDANCE – EXPORT BACKUP in case something goes wrong.

2. On all your mobile devices in Moneydance under setting disconnect.

3. In Moneydance on your computer under FILE – SYNCING set SYNC METHOD to DON’T SYNC, then click OK.

4. Sign into you Dropbox account and move the “.moneydancsync” folder to your Windows 10 hard drive so it does not exist in Dropbox.

5. On your computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase” and set “Sync Method” to Dropbox Connection.

6. You should see dialog with “Authorise with Dropbox” button, click on this.

7. If you are not already logged into your online Dropbox account you will be taken to your login screen. Log in

8. In you Dropbox account you will see “Moneydance would like access to the files and folders in your Dropbox” click ALLOW.

9. An alphanumeric code (long code) will appear. Highlight it and Ctrl C to copy it.

10. Go back to Moneydance and paste ( Ctrl V) the code into the Input Box and click OK and OK again.

11. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created in your online account. This can take some time.

12. Start the Moneydance app on your mobile devices in turn. You may be asked to sign in to your Dropbox account to allow Moneydance to access Dropbox if this is the first time the device has done this. The mobile app will search for your data set to sync. On the completion of the search you should see your current data set listed. Select this to sync. You will then be asked to enter you Encryption Password, the passphrase you entered on your computer FILE – SYNCING. After you have entered the password click BEGIN SYNCING. The initial sync can take a long time.

When you are completely happy you can delete the “.moneydancesync” folder you moved to your hard drive.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by steve on 10 Nov, 2020 09:26 PM

Thank you. I've done this and now it starts in 10 seconds with the Finished Synchronizing message about 12 seconds later. I'll monitor and see how things go.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Nov, 2020 10:00 PM

Hi Steve

I hope the improvement persists.

Have Fun, Stay Safe.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM
17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM
17 Jan, 2021 10:49 PM