Synching and sharing MD

Michael Pearce

19 Apr, 2024 05:56 PM

I want to synch MD across my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPad) and share the file with my wife's devices and her profile on the same iMac.
I am confused on the reading the Knowledge Base as it tells me that the file I want to sync mu not be in any share folder. But I don't see how I am to point MD on my devices to that file. I know I am being dim but please tell me exactly where I should store the MD file and then how I share it. Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Michael Pearce on 19 Apr, 2024 05:57 PM

By the way, I want to share from iCloud.

2. 2 Posted by Michael Pearce on 20 Apr, 2024 10:18 AM

To reiterate and clarify:
    I have MD on my iMac and when I enter data it then synchs the MD data file to iCloud. I need to be able to view that data on the MD app on my iPhone and my iPad and on my MacBook Air.
    When I read the Knowledge Base articles it says
    "Before you set up syncing, you must ensure the .moneydance data files you'd like to share are not already located in any shared folder like Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud etc."
    Currently my MD file is stored in iCloud so I assume I cannot (or should not for fear of potential problems) access that file from my other devices. If that is the case then where do I tell the MD app on my other devices to look for the file?
    Secondly, I want to share the MD file with my wife across her Apple devices and for us both to be able to enter data and for that to be synched to, and stored in, iCloud. (FYI I have been doing this happily for the last few years when the file was saved in Dropbox but as I set that up aeons ago I cannot recall how I did so. I have now moved my cloud storage across to iCloud, hence the need for your help.)
    A related issue. Last week I managed to corrupt my MD file and so wanted to restore it from my locally connected Time Machine but when I tried to do so all the previous MD file versions on Time Machine were the same (newly corrupted) file. I had always thought that there was a local version of the MD file on my iMac and that it was being backed up on Time Machine but I can see that if the only version of the MD file is the one located in the cloud (whether on Dropbox. iCloud, etc.) then the locally backed-up file would always be the latest (corrupted) version. If I’m right can I store a local version and if so how?
    Thanks.

3. 3 Posted by Michael Pearce on 22 Apr, 2024 09:40 PM

Can you please let me have an answer to this query as soon as possible please?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 23 Apr, 2024 08:48 AM

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your query, Michael!

In order to sync using iCloud Drive Sync you need to ensure that:

• your computer is running Moneydance 2023.3 (5064) or more generally the software is updated to the latest version.

• the data file you wish to sync is stored in the default location on the computer where you set up the process. This is crucial!

• Your devices are using the same iCloud account -It is not currently possible to sync to multiple iCloud accounts.

Then you should navigate to File->Syncing and turn sync off by choosing Don't Sync
    (if you were using a different sync method previously, and restart Moneydance)

• Navigate to File->Syncing and choose iCloud Drive
    • Set or take note of your existing "Passphrase".

On your mobile device/s you need to install the latest iOS mobile app.

Launch the mobile app and choose the same file as your computer.
    Enter your Password to match the Passphrase on your computer.

Finally, enter a "dummy"" transaction on each device and allow a few seconds for them to sync. They should display exactly the same transactions.

It might be useful referring you to this Youtube video

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac