exchange rates download fine, but not stock/fund price quotes

thomasnancy.lin

03 Feb, 2018 07:03 AM

Hi - In December last year, I had downloaded an updated preview version (MS OS) as well as Alphavantage. The quotes and exchange rates download was working fine afterwards. Today, I just noticed stock/fund prices were not downloading, at least for a few days. I could see that exchange rates seem to be downloading fine; however, for stock/funds, it has a message of "error downloading price history". Please help. Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 03 Feb, 2018 08:45 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Can you provide say three symbols plus the security name of securities you need prices for so I can test for you. Also can you post a screen shot of your Q & ER extension window so we can check your settings.

Hope this help.

2. 2 Posted by thomasnancy.lin on 03 Feb, 2018 04:42 PM

Thanks. Here are three: AGN (Allergan), FPMAX (Fidelity Emergent Markets Index Premium), FTBFX (Fidelity Total Bond).

The error I mentioned was a one-line-per-security message spat out one after another at the screen bottom while the application runs through the securities. Since it is not static, I am unable to capture a screen shot. Sorry.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 03 Feb, 2018 07:30 PM

I am not support staff just a user.

The Q & ER returned the following values.
    AGN $172.51
    FPMAX $12.28
    FTBFX $10.5

I checked out a stand-alone program and it also returned values, but on two of the three securities they were more up to date. Other have commented on Alpha Vantage being slow to update their prices.
    Values from stand-alone program

AGN $172.51
    FPMAX $11.99
    FTBFX $10.48

The program allows you to obtain quotes and import them into Moneydance.
    Try it out, see this post http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

Hope it helps.

4. 4 Posted by thomasnancy.lin on 03 Feb, 2018 08:51 PM

the prices on my side are: AGN $187.12, FPMAX $12.28, FTBFX $10.5.

As the price for AGN was so different from what you have, my feeling was that the problem might not be as simple as Alphavantage having a lag in time. I am not an active trader so I would be happy if Q & ER's update were a few hours late. So, I hope someone could help me resolve the issue.

Anyhow, I will try out the alternative tool as you suggested. Thank you very much for your help and I will report back how the new tool works.

5. 5 Posted by thomasnancy.lin on 04 Feb, 2018 08:06 AM

Hi, Derek, I was able to download and install the hleofxquotes application, run an update and save a qif file. However, the last step of importing did not change security prices.

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 04 Feb, 2018 08:37 AM

Hi thomasnancy.lin

You are the second person to report that importing a QIF file did not update history prices. The way Moneydance works is that you can only import one QIF file in a day. I suspect that if you have updated price in any other way, including using the Q & ER or just opening the history window it blocks the QIF import. The other user was already using the Security Price Loader successfully to import prices from the program as described in the PDF and did not wont to pursue the QIF approach.
    Can you try importing the prices using a CSV file exported from the program and imported it into Moneydance using the Security Price Loader extension from Mike Bray and provide feedback. See PDF for instructions and a link to the extension.

Thanks

7. 7 Posted by thomasnancy.lin on 05 Feb, 2018 07:41 AM

Hi, per your advice, I used the Security Price Loader.

Firstly, the contents of the CSV file look fine. But, the results by price loading with the Security Price Loader do not reflect the prices in the CSV input file. Specifically, the Last Prices are what I currently have in the system (as expected?); however, the New Prices are all zero but three securities at the bottom.

The CSV file as well as the screen shot of the Price Loader results are attached for your information. Also, a screenshot of how I specified the Loader is attached.

Thanks!

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 Feb, 2018 08:53 AM

The attachments are just what I need to help you..
    However something has gone wrong and there are no attachments to your post.
    If you attached them to a email can you try posing them on the site it's self using this link to get to the thread http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/moneydance-development/204...

9. 9 Posted by thomasnancy.lin on 05 Feb, 2018 11:44 PM

10. 10 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Feb, 2018 08:37 AM

Hi thomasnancy.lin

The issue is simple. The security symbol is the link between the Program and the Security Price Loader, they must be exactly the same, including case. So if you use upper case letters for your symbols you enter into the “Symbols” window e.g.” AGN” instead of “agn” thing should work.

Let me know you get on.

Hope this helps

11. 11 Posted by Mike Bray on 06 Feb, 2018 09:35 AM

Derek is correct, it has to be an exact match up to the number of
    characters specified on the specification screen. When I have some time
    I will add an 'Ignore Case' flag.
    Mike

12. 12 Posted by thomasnancy.lin on 06 Feb, 2018 02:35 PM

Hi, Derek and Mike, Changing the cases used in the Security Price Loader solved the problem. Thank you indeed!

Thomas

p.s. It turned out that the system's "Import" function was also able to load the prices from the .QIF file obtained with the Security Price Loader.

13. 13 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Feb, 2018 03:25 PM

Hi, thomasnancy.lin

Can I ask you to clarify your PS, did you mean you can now import the QIF file that can be exported from the Hleofxquotes Program?

Can I ask you to post your comments on using the program, is it finding all your securities, how easy to use is it, what could be improved, is there anything else that should be included or clarified in the PDF. Please post in this thread http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

Thanks

14. 14 Posted by thomasnancy.lin on 06 Feb, 2018 03:55 PM

Hi, Derek,

Yes, the PS in my previous comment meant that, as far as I can tell, I could import the QIF file that was obtained from the Hleofxquotes Program without using the Security Price Loader program. I will provide additional comment to the other thread as you advised. Thank you for your help again.

Thomas

15. System closed this discussion on 08 May, 2018 04:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac