importQIFIntoAccount question

rapscallion

28 May, 2019 02:43 PM

I am attempting to load transactions parsed from a PDF file into Moneydance. I am using the importQIFIntoAccount Java API call which seems to work just fine when Common.QIF_MODE_TRANSFER is used, but no transactions appear when using Common.QIF_MODE_DOWNLOAD is set. I am not sure why, any ideas...? That is the only parameter I am changing on the API call, the file content I am using is not changing.

I am tracing this using Eclipse and can see that the file is being read correctly (line by line), however it seems that no txns are being setup in the txn set when Common.QIF_MODE_DOWNLOAD is used. An example of the rows in the QIF file being imported are:

!Type:Bank
D2019-05-20
T-1246.19
NB8E21SQA00JA004V
C
PJoe Bloggs
L
MSaldo beheer xxxxx318
^
D2019-05-20
T-86.56
NB8E20AG2JK000023
C
PAlbert Heijn
L
MABC 20-05-2019 16:52
^

1. System closed this discussion on 27 Aug, 2019 02:50 PM.

2. rapscallion re-opened this discussion on 17 Sep, 2019 04:41 PM

3. Support Staff 1 Posted by Sean Reilly on 17 Sep, 2019 09:04 PM

Hi Mike,

Ah, sorry, those QIF import functions are outdated and probably won't work very well anymore. We've reimplemented QIF import and there's now a much better way to do it. Currently the easiest interface to it is to call getUI().importFile(fileToImport:File) or getUI().importFile(fileToImport:File, newDataSet=false, defaultDestinationAccount:Account)

That will automatically select the best importer (QIF, text delimited, OFX) as well as the best mode (downloaded, from-another-app, etc).

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

4. 2 Posted by rapscallion on 17 Sep, 2019 11:50 PM

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply. I can see the getUI().importFile(fileToImport:File) method, but using this brings up the UI import dialog and when I then request the load Moneydance hangs.

As I have a number of QIF files to load each time and the fact that I know which account each needs to be loaded, I would really like to use the getUI().importFile(fileToImport:File, newDataSet=false, defaultDestinationAccount:Account) method, but I don't see this as an available choice in the method completion in Eclipse - please see the attachment for details.

Any ideas?

Regards, Mike.

5. 3 Posted by rapscallion on 18 Sep, 2019 07:33 AM

Hi Sean,

Thinking about this a little more, I would rather not have the UI present any dialog to the user at all, I would prefer instead to be able to load the QIF files directly. I noticed in an older posting on a different but similar question (see https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/moneydance-developme...) you made a comment to the effect that there is a more direct API available?

"...There's a deeper API that will also let you import a bit more directly, but I'd recommend going with the one above."

Can you please let me know what that deeper API call is? In my case, I know the file type (QIF), the date format and the receiving account so I don't want to bother the user with any unnecessary UI interaction.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Mike.

6. 4 Posted by rapscallion on 26 Oct, 2019 08:09 AM

Hi Sean,

I have resolved my immediate issue by transforming input files into a common CSV format (rather than QIF) and then using the TabularTextImport functionality which is working well for standard bank and credit card accounts.

Now, I still think that a similar (deeper) QIF API loader should be supported, so would still like to get that information please so I can support other account types such as investment accounts. As far as I can see, the TabularTextImport cannot support those...?

Any info you can provide on the deeper QIF loader methods would be useful. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Mike.

7. 5 Posted by rapscallion on 20 Nov, 2019 05:22 PM

Hi Sean,

Any update on the documentation for the "deeper" api to load QIF files directly? In the meantime I am leveraging the CSV loader directly, but this doesn't give me split txn support nor does it allow import of securities data... I really need direct access to the lower level QIF loader (like it used to be supported in earlier versions).

Regards, Mike.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac