Open-source examples using classes in moneydance.jar

andy

02 Feb, 2021 01:03 PM

I noticed some of the examples in the moneydance_open github repo use classes found only in the moneydance.jar and not in the moneydance-dev.jar (api). The README states the same. (As an example, the DebtInsights DebtManager class uses SecondaryFrame.)

So, the general question: Is it acceptable for an extension to use the classes from moneydance.jar (specifically would this prevent it from being signed by IK) and if so where can I find the javadocs on these classes.?

It's very possible I don't need anything from the moneydance.jar (such as SecondaryFrame) but it would be good to know what the possibilities are.

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 02 Feb, 2021 01:12 PM

I think the dev jar is purely to allow compile and builds... Of course at runtime you are using the main / live jar file... I can't comment on what you actually want to use, but I personally think using the main jar is fine (as that's what your function calls will use anyway)... Signing is simply a process of comparing file byte sizes and writing an encrypted key against the file sizes to prevent tampering (overly simplified)... So signing has nothing to do with which jar you are using as such... IMHO (no expert by any means, just my views)...

2. 2 Posted by andy on 02 Feb, 2021 01:31 PM

Thanks. Let me narrow my question: if I intend to use classes not documented in the API (which the examples are showing) then where are the javadocs for the classses? For example, SecondaryFrame is used in the examples (and it's not in the API docs) and so where is the javadoc for this class?

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 02 Feb, 2021 01:51 PM

(I can't comment; Sean will need to give you his own answer/view on that.....)

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Sean Reilly on 02 Feb, 2021 04:17 PM

Great question! We don't publish javadoc for most GUI classes because we generally want to be able to change them. However, I don't mind if extensions use undocumented classes unless it seems intended to bypass extension security or possibly user privacy. Those classes might change their API in the future, but that's your risk to take :)

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

5. System closed this discussion on 04 May, 2021 04:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac