Table of net worths by dates -mucking with an old, old Python program

Ric Werme

18 Mar, 2021 06:31 PM

A long, long time ago I wrote "networth.py" for that ancient Jython Moneydance had back in 2005 or so.

Several years ago I finally decided I ought to upgrade my Moneydance and never tried running that old code since.

Finally, after months of retirement, I have time to dust it off and thought it would be safer to run an ordinary Python program to process an exported Moneydance file. Unfortunately, those don't have the security price history. So it's time to break down and learn the new Python interface and stuff.

I'm not really looking for answers, help, or encouragement. This is just to let a few people know hackery is in progress.

So far, thanks are warranted to:

Stuart Beesley: For proving that one can write a large Python 2.7 program that doesn't destroy my data.

Robert: For that Jan 31 post "I would like to ask for a pointer how to best calculate the balance and price of a currency at a specific day?" That and the responses will help me a lot.

Sean Reilly: For pointers into the middle of the API docs that will give me a headstart without needing to wade through 90% of stuff I don't don't need to know. Err, may find out I need to know, but that will be okay. And also for starting the Moneydance project. I can't remember when I first found it,

I may start out with a program to extract the security history I have and extend my export file processor to use that. Then maybe I'll be comfortable with writing code to run within Moneydance again.

Or else the weather turns nice and I'll be bicycling and hiking.

Oh! - I still have these ancient sample programs:

sl:moneydance$ ls -lt ~/moneydance.2005 | tail -4
-rw------- 1 werme users 914 Jan 30 2005 moneydance_categorize_txns.py
-rw------- 1 werme users 1330 Jan 30 2005 moneydance_move_txns.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 werme users 473716 Jan 29 2005 foo.md-2005-01-29
drwxr-xr-x 4 werme users 4096 Jan 29 2004 extdevkit-2.1

1. 1 Posted by Ric Werme on 12 Apr, 2021 01:31 AM

Heh. I started this discussion on March 18th. No wonder I feel as though I have a month's catching up to do with "normal" stuff.

I have something close to what I want, actually beyond what I intended. After getting old program running again, I decided it would be nice to have a Java Swing form to display and override the default inputs, then that I really should have an option to display the results with another Swing window. Hey, JTable looked simple. Well, it did on my first look....

I see there are a couple discussions from 2012 that I don't remember. One mentioned some problems with foreign currency and stock splits, that may not be a problem here with AccountUtil.getBalanceAsOfDate() and CurrencyUtil.convertValue()

There are a lot of to i's to dot and t's to cross, but I think I have things under control. Oh, I should try it on Windows and set up better file paths for my output.

2. System closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2021 01:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac