Citi Cards

Robert Alexander

08 Sep, 2019 01:15 PM

Hi,

I am still getting a 2000 error message when trying to set up online banking for Citi Cards.

Any ideas or new resolutions?

Thanks,
Bob Alexander

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by mbrown305 on 09 Nov, 2019 04:17 PM

@TonyRI

Thanks, first thing I did was check my Credit Union. I was actually logged in anyway at the time. It has a similar type of authorization as Citi. Everything is fine and my permission was still active. I'm not sure what's going on with OFX all of the sudden but there appears to be a growing problem with MD direct download and the silence from the support team is disappointing.

2. 62 Posted by hleofxquotes on 09 Nov, 2019 07:41 PM

Error Code 2000 from server. Go to citi.com/datamanagement and through that process, then try to get MD to work during the 10-minute window. No joy. Have repeatedly deleted & recreated the MD connection. Still no joy.

First some caveats:

• I don't know how MD manage its online exchange
    • But I do know a little bit about the handshake needed to get Citi OFX download to work.

In particular,

• In addition, to username and password, there is a CLIENTUID value needed to be agreed on and exchange between the client (MD) and the server (Citi)
    • Client creates and manages the CLIENTUID and makes sure that once a CLIENTUID is "registered" with the server, the same CLIENTUID MUST be sent in future request.
    • "Registration" of a given CLIENTUID takes place during the 10m grace period.

Roughly, the handshake is followed

• Server starts the 10m grace period
    • Client creates CLIENTUID, sends initial request to get a list of available accounts.
    • Server accepts the CLIENTUID (as long as the 10m window is still valid)
    • From here on, authentication must include the matching triplet userName/password/CLIENTUID

Things that could go wrong

• Wrong server URL. For Citi Credit Card, the currently valid URL is https://mobilesoa.citi.com/CitiOFXInterface
    • ORG: Citigroup
    • FID: 24909
    • Client did not send the CLIENTUID
    • Client sent the wrong CLIENTUID
    • Server does not know about CLIENTUID (not yet registered or registered outside the 10m grace period)

My suggestion to try the following experiment (make sure you do all steps in following order)

• (MD) - Create a brand-new MD file (to get fresh start so there is no chance where wrong URL, wrong username, password, CLIENTUID ...)
    • (MD) - Create a new account for your Citi Credit Card
    • (Browser) - Login to your Citi account, start 10m grace period
    • (MD) - Add online using the ADVANCE option.
    • (MD) - Use URL: https://mobilesoa.citi.com/CitiOFXInterface
    • (MD) - Use Org: Citigroup
    • (MD) - Use FID: 24909

Once that is working, you can go back to your actual MD file and try re-create the Online setup for your existing account.

Good luck,

3. 63 Posted by EdfromHuntsvill... on 10 Nov, 2019 06:15 PM

First things first: thank you for looking deeply into this. I HOPE that the MD devs are paying close attention here. And I WISH there was some way to turn on deep logging for the web service, to see exactly what is being sent by MD.

Anyway, I just tried this and got the following results:

There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below.
    Bank Name: Citi Cards
    The error code reported by the server was: 2000

We've had a problem processing your request. It may take 24 to 36 hours for the problem to be resolved. Please try again at that time. <--- (note: this is different now)

A few days ago, I looked over my old Quicken 2017 log files and used the values from the XML in the "Advanced" option in Moneydance. The values were the same as you suggest, i.e.,

Citigroup 24909
    https://mobilesoa.citi.com/CitiOFXInterface
    but was not able to connect. I also made sure to use a new MD file. The error is a bit different from before but I cannot say just if that is significant or just an artifact of some change on Citi's side.

4. 64 Posted by EdfromHuntsvill... on 10 Nov, 2019 07:10 PM

I tried again to connect to the Citi site via Advanced, but this time I used http instead of https to capture the outgoing packets unencrypted, which I then looked at using Wireshark. I compared them with what is being sent out from Quicken. I won't post the entire OFXSGML here, but the only differences I could see where these:

MoneyDance

DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    <APPID>MDNC
    <APPVER>015

Quicken:
    VERSION:103
    <APPID>QWIN 
    <APPVER>2600

The ORG and FID were the same, Citigroup and 24909, resp.
  5. 65 Posted by Cliff Lewis on 10 Nov, 2019 09:51 PM

I have not been as persistent as some of you to get this connected to
    CitiBank and thought I'd wait for MD to respond. But today I had a few
    minutes to try again. SUCCESS!! I did not try any of the involved options
    some of you have tried. I just went to CitiBank site to start the count
    down clock. Went to MD and click the button to create a New Connection. It
    work instantly when I clicked to Download transactions. To note: I have a
    Costco CitiBank card, I have turned off 2 step validation on CitiBank site,
    and the CitiBank count down clock showed aN:aN. All this did not work for
    me before but now it did work. Hope the rest of you have some luck with
    this.

Cliff

6. 66 Posted by EdfromHuntsvill... on 10 Nov, 2019 11:24 PM

Cliff - I have just now had a successful connection for my Costco Citicard! I had gone through every imaginable combination up to this point, and as recently as 1:00 PM today it was failing with error 2000. I just retried a while ago, and it went through. I cannot explain what happened, but now, under Active ID's, I can see

Product            Registered Date Time          Last Access Time
    Moneydance 2019     11/10/2019 03:56 pm        11/10/2019 04:37 pm

Perhaps the MD folks got it straightened out, or maybe Citi just got tired of us hammering their site ....
  7. 67 Posted by jason on 10 Nov, 2019 11:38 PM

I tried about 30 minutes ago. No luck. I have an American Advantage Citi
    Card.

8. 68 Posted by hleofxquotes on 11 Nov, 2019 06:46 AM

@EdfromHuntsvill, it was interesting that it eventually worked for you. I just did an experiment using VERSION:102 vs VERSION:103 and I can see that the former is giving me an error while using latter works.

In my last post, I suggest a set of steps to try, I want to amend it as followed

• (Browser) - Login to your Citi account, in the list of "Active Id's" for "Apps and websites with access to your Citi account information", delete all. The reason you want to do this: to eliminate the possiblity that a CLIENTUID was somehow registered BUT your MD has forgot and now is trying to register/use another CLIENTUID. Basically, we want to "fix" any possible out-of-sync.
    • Wait 2-3 minutes to allow above change to take affect.
    • (MD) - Create a brand-new MD file (to get fresh start so there is no chance where wrong URL, wrong username, password, CLIENTUID ...)
    • (MD) - Create a new account for your Citi Credit Card
    • Wait 1-2 minutes to allow above change to take affect.
    • (MD) - Add online using the ADVANCE option.
    • (MD) - Use URL: https://mobilesoa.citi.com/CitiOFXInterface
    • (MD) - Use Org: Citigroup
    • (MD) - Use FID: 24909
  9. 69 Posted by hleofxquotes on 11 Nov, 2019 07:07 AM

For someone who is more technical incline who want to try an indedendent test to see if the problem you have either specific to your Citi account/card or more likely to be specific to your MD installation/version. This exercise WON'T fix your MD online connection. Just might give you some additional information on where the problem might lie.

Do the following:

• (Browser) - Login to your Citi account, in the list of "Active Id's" for "Apps and websites with access to your Citi account information", delete all. The reason you want to do this: to eliminate the possiblity that a CLIENTUID was somehow registered BUT your MD has forgot and now is trying to register/use another CLIENTUID. Basically, we want to "fix" any possible out-of-sync.
    • Wait 2-3 minutes to allow above change to take affect.
    • Wait 1-2 minutes to allow above change to take affect.
    • (curl) Use curl to send sample request OFX file to simulate a CLIENTUID registration. Specifically,
    curl  -X POST -v -d @request.txt -H "Content-Type: application/x-ofx" https://mobilesoa.citi.com/CitiOFXInterface

And content of file request.txt

OFXHEADER:100  
    VERSION:103  
    SECURITY:NONE  
    ENCODING:USASCII  
    CHARSET:NONE  
    COMPRESSION:NONE  
    OLDFILEUID:NONE  
    NEWFILEUID:f6af4437-30ad-43b0-952f-ca14eb737f90

<OFX>  
    <SIGNONMSGSRQV1>  
    <SONRQ>  
    <DTCLIENT>20191111061719.165[0:GMT]</DTCLIENT>  
    <USERID>_FIX_ME_USERID_</USERID>  
    <USERPASS>_FIX_ME_USERPASS_</USERPASS>  
    <LANGUAGE>ENG</LANGUAGE>  
    <FI>  
    <ORG>Citigroup</ORG>  
    <FID>24909</FID>  
    </FI>  
    <APPID>QWIN</APPID>  
    <APPVER>2700</APPVER>  
    <CLIENTUID>_FIX_ME_CLIENTUID_</CLIENTUID>  
    </SONRQ>  
    </SIGNONMSGSRQV1>  
    <SIGNUPMSGSRQV1>  
    <ACCTINFOTRNRQ>  
    <TRNUID>9be6afa9-4525-445e-9662-69f8fcca62a8</TRNUID>  
    <ACCTINFORQ>  
    <DTACCTUP>19991231000000.000[0:GMT]</DTACCTUP>  
    </ACCTINFORQ>  
    </ACCTINFOTRNRQ>  
    </SIGNUPMSGSRQV1>  
    </OFX>

IMPORTANT: Find all instance of FIX_ME... and replace them with value specific to your case

• FIX_ME_USERID is your Citi account userId
    • FIX_ME_USERPASS is your Citi account password
    • FIX_ME_CLIENTUID (in theory) is a CLIENTUID value you want to register during the 10m window. For this testing purpose, you can generate a unique value using https://www.uuidgenerator.net/ (the value should look something like this: c67a36f2-f21b-4a2e-bb2f-a30ac5a3b53e)

If after running the curl command and you get back something like this

OFXHEADER:100  
    SECURITY:NONE  
    ENCODING:USASCII  
    CHARSET:1252  
    COMPRESSION:NONE  
    OLDFILEUID:NONE  
    NEWFILEUID:f6af4437-30ad-43b0-952f-ca14eb737f90

<OFX>  
    <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>  
    <SONRS>  
    <STATUS>  
    <CODE>0  
    <SEVERITY>INFO  
    <MESSAGE>0  

where

<SEVERITY>INFO  
    and NOT  
    <SEVERITY>ERROR

then that means you were able to login and register the CLIENTUID and that subsequent request to download should be OK.

10. 70 Posted by jmanrunner on 11 Nov, 2019 01:15 PM

I tried my online setup again and it works today. This is Costco Citi Card and I selected Citi Cards in the dropdown list for financial institutions. All the same steps tried previously but now it works. Thanks to everyone who helped get this fixed.

11. 71 Posted by EdfromHuntsvill... on 11 Nov, 2019 02:52 PM

hleofxquotes - For obvious reasons, I am not going to go in and tinker with the Citi website app list, having gone through so much to get this working. MD is still somewhat experimental for me in a lot of other ways.
    But, one thing I did forget to point out is that I have a main Arris cable router which is connected to my Netgear Orbi home mesh network, and the latter is what I have my main work desktop plugged into. I ran a test where I pulled the cable from the Orbi and plugged it directly into the Arris, my thinking being that there might be a port forwarding issue. It was at this point that my Moneydance connected to Citi. I have since plugged the desktop back into the Orbi, tried to download Citi, and got no apparent error.
    So I really cannot say that going direct into the router vs the Orbi was the solution to my problem, but it is something that actually can be very much an issue with Linux, when downloading keys to get software from PPA's. So many moving parts here.

12. 72 Posted by alex.f on 11 Nov, 2019 04:26 PM

I just went to citi.com/datamanagement and started the 10 minute timer, then in Moneydance (build 1888) I redid the online setup for account downloads of my Citi card and was able to successfully download transactions.

I had tried this several weeks ago without success.

Perhaps Citibank has fixed something on their end that is allowing things to work once again.

13. 73 Posted by Jim G on 11 Nov, 2019 04:41 PM

It's working for me now, too, with a non-Costco Citi card.

14. 74 Posted by schveiguy on 11 Nov, 2019 05:10 PM

It is now working for me as well. I highly suspect it was not a MD problem, but something to do with citicards that they quietly fixed.

The aN:aN thing is a classic Javascript error. Basically they wanted to display a timer, and the thing they wanted to display was "not a number", typically shown as a string as "NaN". They took the last 2 characters, and that's where it comes from. The timer is really running, just ignore that.

Note, I did not have to create a new moneydance file. Just ran again on my old file. I did avoid selecting "Citi Cards" from the dropdown and made sure to search for it.

15. 75 Posted by Brian Hawthorne on 12 Nov, 2019 01:56 AM

Mine is now working too.

16. 76 Posted by doug on 12 Nov, 2019 05:10 AM

Mine's working now, too.

And thanks to all for your good suggestions, especially hleofxquotes. I was about to try some of his good info, just before Citi fixed things.

17. 77 Posted by Andrew on 12 Nov, 2019 12:27 PM

I'm still getting nothing but error 2000 in Moneydance.

I've followed the 'curl' based instructions from hleofxquotes and that process works—I see the INFO message and I see an app added on the Citibank site—but when I try to do the same thing in Moneydance by creating a new connection I always get the error 2000 message and no app is added.

Conclusion: at least for me the issue is at the Moneydance end. It is not completing the setup properly.

18. 78 Posted by Robert Alexande... on 12 Nov, 2019 12:57 PM

19. 79 Posted by hleofxquotes on 12 Nov, 2019 03:27 PM

@Andrew, just want to make sure that you "reset the server state" (see below) before you use MD again to create a new connection

Re: reset the server state: to make sure you clear out the "CLIENTUID registration" created by the "curl" command. Otherwise, we will be in a "out of sync state".

• Citi knows about CLIENTUID 123456
    • MD tries to use CLIENTUID 654321

More concretely

• (Browser) - Login to your Citi account, in the list of "Active Id's" for "Apps and websites with access to your Citi account information", delete all.
    • (Browser) - Logout
    • Wait to see if you get an email for Citi indicating that it has completed the deletion. In my case, I get an email with subject "Confirmation of Citi® Online activity" and a content that looks something like this
    As you requested, you will no longer be able to see your updated account information within the financial software application of the app or website you specified.

• Or if you've wait long enough and still not getting above email, use browser to login again and double-check that your "Active Id's" list is empty.
    • (MD): now go back to MD and try create a new online connection
  20. 80 Posted by hleofxquotes on 13 Nov, 2019 11:49 PM

For those who still have problem with Citi, I'd like to recommend the following main points

• Make sure you are in a "clean state" (more on this below)
    • Make sure that you start the 10m clock BEFORE any attempt to connect from MD.

Clean State: You want to make sure that when you use MD to add online connection, you are in a clean/known state.

• MD (Client): Your MD Citi account has NO online connection. If you have multiple Citi accounts, make sure ALL has NO online connection.
    • Citi (Server): Your actual Citi account (with citi.com) has NO 'Active IDs'. Use browser to login to Citi
    Profile -> More Setttings --> Manage Desktop Apps -> Active IDs

• Make sure that there are NONE. If there are any, delete them all. Logout
    • Wait to see if you get an email for Citi indicating that it has completed the deletion. In my case, I get an email with subject "Confirmation of Citi® Online activity" and a content that looks something like this
    As you requested, you will no longer be able to see your updated account information within the financial software application of the app or website you specified.

• Or if you've wait long enough and still not getting above email, use browser to login again and double-check that your "Active Id's" list is empty.

Start the 10m clock: Don't do anything with MD yet. Instead of "passively" reacting to the 2000 error, use browser to login to your Citi and "actively" start the 10m clock

Profile -> More Setttings --> Manage Desktop Apps -> Add Access

NOW YOU READY: Use MD to add online connection.

Hope you will have some lucks!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac