Unable to download Discovercard transactions

ooteschoogen

12 Sep, 2019 11:26 PM

When I try to download my Discovercard transactions I get this error.

There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below.

Bank Name: Discover Card
Account: Discover 2
Account Number: Discovr94X34X2777XXXXX

A communication or parsing error occurred. This could be the result of a network problem, a proxy error, or misconfigured server.
Error Description: java.io.IOException: HTTP Error:403 Forbidden

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by csk137 on 02 Oct, 2019 05:04 AM

Well, I was getting by downloading a file from my Discover checking account and importing that into Moneydance (until either Moneydance finds a fix or I find another bank), but as of today even that doesn't work anymore. I get "There's something wrong with this file. Please try again" and "We regret there was a problem loading your account activity." Discover's really putting some effort into breaking things by leaps and bounds.

2. Support Staff 62 Posted by Sean Reilly on 04 Oct, 2019 08:31 AM

Oh wow, that's not good. Would it be possible to send me a copy of the console logs when this error message is displayed? I might be able to work around it if the file isn't a complete disaster :)

If you'd prefer to send the logs or (even better) the downloaded file to me directly that'd be fine too. Here's a link to my dropbox upload-only folder: https://www.dropbox.com/request/MWl0JDdufTqlKiJUQtqz

Thanks,
    Sean

3. 63 Posted by csk137 on 04 Oct, 2019 04:14 PM

Hi Sean--to clarify, the error message that I reported "There's something wrong with this file. Please try again" was not a Moneydance error. Since Discover direct downloads into Moneydance broke, I've been downloading a transactions Quicken file and importing into Moneydance, and it was the downloading of that file that was generating the message. So purely a Discover thing, not a Moneydance thing. And the problem went away after a day too.....

4. 64 Posted by avonderluft on 13 Oct, 2019 01:02 AM

Has there been this, Sean? It is a troublesome problem. My experience is like some others described in this thread, viz. it fails silently. The way I know it has failed is by looking at the date on the Ledger Balance (it doesn't update to current).

5. 65 Posted by kwbear on 13 Oct, 2019 04:50 PM

Is Infinite Kind working to try to resolve the Discover problem? I know this is not a simple issue but some status report would be appreciated.

6. Support Staff 66 Posted by Sean Reilly on 14 Oct, 2019 02:42 PM

Hi kwbear,

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to resolve this in the short term. Discover has seemingly disconnected their service and we don't know of any alternative. We are working on a longer-term alternative that will allow Moneydance to talk to any bank that has a web interface, but that's not ready yet.

Thanks,
    Sean

7. 67 Posted by mondan on 22 Oct, 2019 01:54 PM

Waiting for a solution too.

Thanks....

8. 68 Posted by kwbear on 22 Oct, 2019 02:45 PM

mondan:

From what Sean says, I expect it will be quite a while before this problem is resolved. Whether this means one month or six, it’s impossible to say. Sean’s words imply that a profound change will need to be made and a simple fix is not in the cards.

9. 69 Posted by mhcrowder on 27 Oct, 2019 12:45 PM

Really miss the simple downloading of my Discover card account. I'll keep watching for an update.

10. 70 Posted by tbrisco on 03 Nov, 2019 06:32 PM

I've been receiving no error from the failed downloads (it looks like some have) - but looking at the console, it's easy to see that there's a refusal to authenticate against the OFX download.

I dropped a note to support about the OFX authorization failures, but if Discover has decided to go away from this, I have a very low confidence that they will do anything to re-instantiate the service.

This is particularly discouraging, as I'm just finishing up the process of closing out my Capital One accounts due to their dropping support for direct download ... (sigh)

Tom

11. 71 Posted by matthias on 04 Nov, 2019 11:43 AM

I already reported this issue twice to Discover, once via e-mail and just yesterday during a phone call. No one really seems to know what is going on and I was told that Discover can change any of its services without advanced notice. It really worries me that now they hide behind some legal clause and don't care about their customers. They removed this access quietly sometime early September and I have spent hours researching the issue online.

My online banking configuration is still active and it generates no error at all. I can see the communications in the bottom frame of the register and it finishes with zero transactions downloaded.

Having to download 12 activity files and important them each is not the ideal workflow nor any fun, especially now with Moneydance 2019.4 still having issues importing and then freezing up.

12. 72 Posted by avonderluft on 04 Nov, 2019 04:52 PM

To everyone in this thread. I just installed the latest preview release. It seems to have fixed the Discover transactions sync issues.

13. 73 Posted by TonyRI on 04 Nov, 2019 07:30 PM

Hi avonderluft,

Did you actually download transactions via direct connect, or did it just appear as though it was working at the bottom status bar?

Only asking, because I thought that it was working for the longest time, as it never displayed an error.

14. 74 Posted by avonderluft on 04 Nov, 2019 08:38 PM

@TonyRI, yes it actually downloaded transactions. I previously had the same experience as you (no error, status bar normal), but no transactions.

15. 75 Posted by -Kevin N. on 04 Nov, 2019 09:32 PM

@TonyRI, @avonderluft

I can confirm that the connection to DC does appear to be working with MD 2019.4 (1892)
    Although I don't have any txns to download, I did get the message in the lower margin that 'zero transactions were downloaded' which I did not receive before.

The connection does not seem to work with prior versions of MD.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

16. 76 Posted by TonyRI on 05 Nov, 2019 04:03 AM

That's great news! Thanks for the info avonderluft and -Kevin N. Good to hear from you Kevin!

17. 77 Posted by buffo on 05 Nov, 2019 03:29 PM

Also confirmed that MD 2019.4(1892) is working with Discover direct connect downloads!!
    thanks to all

18. 78 Posted by Jesse on 10 Nov, 2019 05:01 AM

What did y'all do to fix this? I'm running into the same issue using Python, and I'd love to know what I need to change to get it working again.

19. 79 Posted by TonyRI on 10 Nov, 2019 11:51 AM

Hi Jesse,

As avonderluft stated above: "To everyone in this thread. I just installed the latest preview release. It seems to have fixed the Discover transactions sync issues."

The latest preview build (1892) can be found here:

https://infinitekind.com/preview

As always, a backup of your data is suggested prior to installing a preview version (FILE > EXPORT BACKUP).

Good Luck,

Tony (NOT from MD Support(

20. 80 Posted by -Kevin N. on 10 Nov, 2019 02:30 PM

Hi Jesse,

I'm using the Pocketsense Python scripts. They were developed for MS Money but they work equally as well with Moneydance.
    https://sites.google.com/site/pocketsense/home/msmoneyfixp1

In order to connect to Discover, port number 443 needed to be added to the URL to Discover's OFX server. e.g. https://ofx.discovercard.com:443

21. 81 Posted by Jesse on 10 Nov, 2019 04:24 PM

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, adding 443 didn't resolve the issue I'm having. I'm currently digging through the code you referenced to find differences in what I have, and doing a bit of trial and error trying to get past the Access Denied errors. Though, I'm a bit confused because it looks like the most recent update comments in that code is from 2017.

I'm using ofxclient and the bit of code I have that is loading transactions is here: https://github.com/CrashenX/bi/blob/master/libi/collector.py#L33

If anyone has any other insights, they'd be greatly appreciated while I continue to try and track down specifically what the change with Discover was.

22. 82 Posted by hleofxquotes on 10 Nov, 2019 04:37 PM

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, adding 443 didn't resolve the issue I'm having.

You want to make sure that the HttpHeader Host line has the port number. Specifically, it should like like this

Host: ofx.discovercard.com:443

Typically, using a URL with the port number such as https://ofx.discovercard.com:443, will make that so.

23. 83 Posted by -Kevin N. on 10 Nov, 2019 04:41 PM

Hi Jesse,

Here's a link to the newer posts on the Pocketsense forums. Specifically the post where hleofxquotes provides a little more insight into the addition of port 443.
    https://pocketsense.blogspot.com/2019/08/comments.html?showComment=...

24. 84 Posted by Jesse on 10 Nov, 2019 04:43 PM

I take that back! You are my hero! Adding 443 did work but I also had to modify the underlying ofxclient library I'm using in my code:

https://github.com/captin411/ofxclient/blob/v2.0.3/ofxclient/client.py#L104 needs to be:

if 'ofx.discovercard.com' in host:

to account for the 443.

Although, this is version 2.03 of ofxclient and looks like there is a 2.04 so I'm going to try that as well and see if it works.

25. 85 Posted by Jesse on 10 Nov, 2019 05:21 PM

Thanks for the help. Got it working again between adding 443 and updating the library I'm using. For those that stumble upon this thread and have the same issue I did:

https://github.com/captin411/ofxclient/issues/80

26. 86 Posted by avp2 on 11 Nov, 2019 05:02 PM

Discover bank and Discover card accounts now working (OFX direct download) for me in MD MacOS build 1892.

27. 87 Posted by Barbara on 16 Dec, 2019 08:25 PM

Any progress, MD, on getting Discover to download?

28. 88 Posted by -Kevin N. on 17 Dec, 2019 04:10 AM

Hi Barbara,

If you're using MD 2019 AND you purchased it through the Moneydance website, then you can d/l the preview build of Moneydance - currently MD 2019.4 (1896) from here:

https://infinitekind.com/preview

It has the fix for Discover.

29. 89 Posted by Larry on 31 Jan, 2020 09:32 PM

Yay! 2019.4 seems to be working fine for me. At last!

30. Maddy closed this discussion on 03 Feb, 2020 11:54 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac