add a check # from description

Charles Bollig

22 Dec, 2019 08:05 PM

Is there a way to move the number #### in the Description column labeled "paid check - ####" to Check # column?

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 22 Dec, 2019 10:41 PM

just a user,

couldn't you just copy and paste? Highlight, control V, then control C ?

Or am I not understanding ?

2. 2 Posted by Charles Bollig on 23 Dec, 2019 03:04 AM

When download a group of transactions ( several months at a time) doing that for every check is time consuming.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 23 Dec, 2019 06:46 AM

I'm a fellow user.

There does not appear to be any accommodation for the Cheque number in the OFX spec so it looks like banks to include it have to put it in what the spec calls the 'Memo' field, hence where it ends up. This is just a text string, it would not be easy for the software to determine with certainty if a Cheque number appears in the string in order to move it.

4. 4 Posted by Charles Bollig on 25 Dec, 2019 07:58 PM

Thanks for your response, dwg. I have done a little programing in my day (now retired) , and noting that it is just a text string, It seems like it would be easy to capture the number and place it the Check number column. Acknowledging that this function could be too specialized for universal usage; it would be advantageous to provide an extension that could match text in columns and store the text in another column. Is there an extension or instructions to provide a extension to perform this function? Thanks, Charlie

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 25 Dec, 2019 08:38 PM

Yes the real problem is that banks are different, they do things in different ways, put numbers in different places and of course a number there may not be a cheque number, for instance it could be a reference number for some form of direct entry, so such a function could well be limited in when it could be used.

I am not aware of any extension that would do this, most extensions I have seen tend to be universal. I would expect that something could be written but I have no background in Java and Python.

Information for developers can be found at:

https://infinitekind.com/developer

6. 6 Posted by Cbollig on 26 Dec, 2019 08:49 AM

Thanks for the developers link. I’ll look into it.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac