USAA Script to fix the broken download issue

Need to reconnect to USAA? I have written a (run one-time only) script to make USAA download to Moneydance work again. All it does it fix your connection profile. You simply run once, and then use standard Moneydance. It's not needed again.

This is now the IK recommended fix as they are working on 'medium and long-term' improvements to ofx connections

You must be on MD version 2019.4 (build 1904) or newer (if older, you must upgrade, else usaa will never work again).

Following these simple, but complete, PDF instructions will make USAA download to your Moneydance file.

My python script creates a new USAA profile in Moneydance to replace the broken USAA profile. It has been used since Feb 23 by more than 55+ users successfully 😃

This script will allow you to download USAA transactions again. It isn't rocket science, really. You don't have to wait for IK/MD to fix the problem, nor will it stop you from embracing the Moneydance fix if/when it happens. I just fix the connection profile.

NOTE: usaa have changed their download data (content, format). If you get some data duplication afterwards, this is NOTHING to do with the script, it's what usaa are now sending. You simply need to do a one-time cleanup, keep the new data, and that's it.

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation with Moneydance. It's entirely possible that this won't work for you. Pretty much the worst that can happen is that your bank logon / service profile won't work - but then it's not working anyway.. You can always just delete the profile and start again, if you wish.

PLEASE ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST!

The first thing to do is read the walk through PDF guide: ofx_create_new_usaa_bank_custom_profile.pdf

The latest PDF guide (now version 8) is always here:
[https://github.com/yogi1967/MoneydancePythonScripts/raw/master/sour...]

The latest zip file containing the script to fix USAA/Moneydance is at: [https://github.com/yogi1967/MoneydancePythonScripts/raw/master/usef...]

FYI - When you click these links, you may see a blank screen (depending on your browser) and the file(s) will auto download to your downloads folder

You need to unzip this file. The script is called: ofx_create_new_usaa_bank_custom_profile.py

Quick Details:

• Make a backup first.
  • Read the instructions.
  • Once you run the script, Moneydance takes over with the new profile.

PS - If you get issues ensure a) you are connecting from a USA IP; and that any PiHole, Blockers etc are not getting in the way..

If you have problems, post - We love to solve problems.

CREDITS and thanks: @dtd and @hleofxquotes

I am not support, just a fellow user and creator of the very free and most-excellent Toolbox 🧰 extension for Moneydance.
The latest useful_scripts.zip package and Toolbox are on my site: [https://yogi1967.github.io/MoneydancePythonScripts/]

Showing page 16 out of 16. View the first page

1. 451 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 18 Apr, 2021 09:19 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

@tahartman 😂 correction (=59)

2. 452 Posted by Chuck Whittenbe... on 19 Apr, 2021 12:20 PM

Stuart, per your request, I am attaching the redacted Console Messages from this morning when I ran Online>Download Checking Account Transactions. Interesting that is mostly about Credit Card Accounts. Sadly, I will be away from my Computer now until later tonight. I will monitor my phone though.

Thanks,

Chuck Whittenberg

3. 453 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 19 Apr, 2021 12:40 PM

@Chuck.. I'm a bit confused. This log says you are downloading Credit Card number ending ....79830 and then it says 'reading statement for (Checking Account: ....995)'. My take on this is that you have linked your online CC account to your MD checking account... Have you checked all your registers to see where the txns are actually going? But then the log is truncated, so I don't know what happens after this. Is what I say possible? If so, you will have to re-run online setup and link the right online accounts to the right MD accounts... ??

4. 454 Posted by Chuck Whittenbe... on 19 Apr, 2021 03:42 PM

Stuart, at this point anything is likely possible!

I’m not sure how to go check the registers. Does your script clear the
    registers? If so a straight reload is likely the easiest option. If they
    are not cleared I’m not sure what to do.

I was astonished as well that I saw so much Credit Card info on a checking
    account report. I have noticed that a new 7-digit Checking Account number
    was inserted by the system and when I ran. The download it directly linked
    back to my numbers.

Thanks for your help Stuart,

Chuck

5. 455 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 19 Apr, 2021 04:18 PM

The script touches NO data, especially not the registers. These 'linkages' are all up to you and what account numbers you have stored on Tools/Accounts, and which of those you have linked to what bank accounts when the standard online menu pops up accounts to link..

Surely you use the 'registers' every day to look at your transactions in Moneydance by account... Select an account on the left side bar and look at your transactions.

@dtd - do you know how to unlink and relink the right accounts?

6. 456 Posted by dtd on 19 Apr, 2021 07:27 PM

@Chuck - first of all FORGET about the script. The script has been run successfully, and you can connect to USAA again. That's it.

At this point you are simply using Moneydance. However, it appears you have linked the wrong accounts to USAA (Did you use nicknames at usaa.com to easily see which goes to what?)

Here's the link to the documentation again:
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/online-banking/18363/r?go=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL3lvZ2kxOTY3L01vbmV5ZGFuY2VQeXRob25TY3JpcHRzL3Jhdy9tYXN0ZXIvc291cmNlL3VzZWZ1bF9zY3JpcHRzL29meF9jcmVhdGVfbmV3X3VzYWFfYmFua19jdXN0b21fcHJvZmlsZS5wZGY%3D

Note that anything I refer to now is in the ADDENDUM, which is about what you do in MONEYDANCE now that it is working again. I assume you set this up before USAA broke things, so you just need to set it up again.

@Stuart - how to do this is in the documentation already. Unlink/Relink is the Online/Change bit, except you have to delete all the misdirected transactions. Here is the pertinent text:

Given your profile has now been fixed, you should be able to use Moneydance to go to each account, do the ONLINE/SETUP BANKING bit, hit Change, find the other accounts in the list (you may have issues linking multiple accounts to weird numbers) and properly link your accounts between USAA/Moneydance. Fixing these one at a time, starting with the ones that match, would be a good process. If an account is missing, it may be due to little or no use. Wake it up with a small transaction; it should reappear once the transaction clears.
    This issue of odd numbers and “hard to figure out what goes where” are due to the USAA changes.
    Be careful here! Pay attention to which numbers go to which accounts. If you get the matching wrong, change the accounts again to attach to the correct accounts. You may have to delete any transactions you downloaded incorrectly, if the matching was wrong initially.

To add to this, give the list of accounts window time to come up, sometimes it takes a bit, and people pick the first one without realizing it.

I suspect that Chuck has things mismatched. Chuck, go to each and every USAA account, set up online banking for each one, INCLUDING Checking, and make sure you pick the account that goes to the same account in Moneydance.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac