Not able to connect with bank

Doug Erb

24 Jan, 2022 04:19 PM

Hi,

I am currently using MoneyDance 2017 and attempting to connect online banking. First, is there additional cost when using online banking function?
My bank is Central Bank Mo - Personal, I checked with my bank. When I enter my ID and Password it says, Online Error. I have tried both my Password and my PIN, which doesn't work. To log in on my bank site, there is also a "secret word" I have to know. Could this be the issue?
Hope you can help me connect to my bank. Looking forward to your help.

Doug

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 24 Jan, 2022 04:54 PM

Hi Doug,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Moneydance supports automatic downloads using Direct Connect, and you can view a list of financial institutions we've already established connections with on this page.

Central Bank Mo - Personal is listed, so you can set this up within Moneydance by navigating to Online --> Set Up Online Banking. Then select 'New Connection' and choose your financial institution from the list.

Most banks require that you contact them to enable Direct Connect before you can download your data from within Moneydance. Have you already done this?

You can accomplish this by asking your bank to set up your account for direct connections from Quicken. Moneydance uses exactly the same OFX server connection protocol as Quicken but your bank representative may not know this and mistakenly believe that you can not connect in Moneydance.

Calling up your bank and stating precisely the following should get you started:

"Please enable direct connect on my account such that I can connect to your servers directly with Quicken. Also give me the login credentials I need to connect Quicken to this service."

Application-based online banking often requires a different login/PIN than the ones that are used for ATM or web-based banking. When you enable your account for access from Moneydance or Quicken, your financial institution should let you know what customer ID/login and PIN to use. 

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thanks for your interest in Moneydance!

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Doug Erb on 26 Jan, 2022 01:47 PM

Hi Maddy,

Thanks much for that information, very helpful. It’s been so long since I’ve used MoneyDance that now it looks like banks charge for Direct Connection, which I don’t think is in my interest/budget.

If you have any other suggestions, it would be appreciated. I truly don’t do that many transactions, so will most likely just enter things manually.

Thanks again,

Doug

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 26 Jan, 2022 03:08 PM

If you prefer opting for manual downloads, you can find the relevant steps here.
    Please keep us posted on your progress, Thank you!

--

4. 4 Posted by Doug Erb on 26 Jan, 2022 08:53 PM

Hi Maddy,

I did download both OFX and QFX files.

When I attempt to import them in Moneydance using File, then Import, a window pops up to select account. I select an account and nothing happens, like clicking on a button that doesn’t do anything.

I then used the 3rd format they offered, .CVS, which does import.

Is there a reason you can think of the OFX and QFX did not work?

Thanks,

Doug

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 26 Jan, 2022 08:59 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The first thing to check in the OFX/QFX files (the only difference between them should be that QFX has a Quicken specific section in the file which Moneydance will ignore) is if they have any transaction data in them.

The other sort of reasons we see for the files not being imported are things like an incomplete file or a incorrectly formatted file.

6. 6 Posted by Doug Erb on 26 Jan, 2022 09:11 PM

The OFX and QFX files downloaded are 10KB each. They are both named DDAActivity.

I choose file, import. I select an account, click okay, and nothing loads. Only when I use the .CVS does it load.

I am working on a 2021 iMac OS Monterey.

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 26 Jan, 2022 11:22 PM

Open the OFX/QFX files in a text editor, word processor etc and look at the contents, they are only text files.

The approach is to see if they have any valid data in them, if they do not then Moneydance cannot be expected to do anything, likewise if there is rubbish in them.

If the files are valid then it is time to move to look further.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Maddy on 27 Jan, 2022 09:55 AM

Please Doug, can you confirm which version of Moneydance you are running?

To check, open Moneydance and select Moneydance --> About Moneydance.

In your initial post you said it is Moneydance 2017 but then in post 6 here you state it is Moneydance 2021.

Also, I would like to add that for an optimal performance your operating system requires the latest preview version Moneydance 2022.3 (4063). This is available to download from this page.

--

9. 9 Posted by Doug Erb on 27 Jan, 2022 02:07 PM

I’m on a 2021 Mac using Moneydance 2017.

Yes, I probably should just use the latest version of Moneydance. Maybe that’s the best solution.

Thanks for the continued assistance. It does help me!

Doug

10. System closed this discussion on 28 Apr, 2022 02:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac