How can I purge imported QIF data from Moneydance 2014?

moneydance

25 Jun, 2015 09:17 PM

I successfully imported 1-3 months of checking account data from Chase Bank into Moneydance 2014, using OFX or QIF formats.The last OFX download had only 4 transactions, and I foolishly tried QIF, specifying the date range and accounts. I may have made a mistake, because the QIF file contained 2 years' worth of data, with a number of incorrect categories, balances and even descriptions. I tried to restore order by using yesterday's checkpoint, but found that the QIF data had more lives than the proverbial 9 of a cat. Part of the problem was that I had 2 root.mdinternal files, one inside the checkpoints folder and one in the next level above. But even after removing one, my data file still looked like a field of forget-me-nots, with blue dots all over the place. Presumably the imported QIF data have found a safe hiding place other than the root.mdinternal file, and keep springing up. I have a Time Machine backup but would need to know the names and locations of all files to be replaced. I also have a backup of Moneydance on another volume, which is a few weeks out of date but guaranteed uninfected.

Thanks, Ed

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 01 Jul, 2015 01:54 PM

Hello Ed,

I apologize for the delay in my response; somehow your message slipped by us.

Unfortunately, there is no way to undo importing a file in this way. If you had recently imported this file and had no other unconfirmed transactions, you may be able to choose the "unconfirmed" button at the top of the register to only display these transactions, and then just delete them from there. If you had many other unconfirmed transactions already, they may be too mixed in to just select a large group of transactions to delete in this view.

In general, we recommend not to switch between OFX and QIF formats. The latter do not contain unique transaction IDs, which is why all of those transactions were duplicated. Even if an OFX file had two years worth of transactions, Moneydance would be able to recognize the ones it had already seen from a previous OFX import, and would ignore these transactions.

Since you are using Moneydance 2014, you may be able to restore a checkpoint (http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/moneydance-2014/how-to-restore-from...). Otherwise, reverting to your last backup may be the way to go.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

2. Ethan closed this discussion on 01 Jul, 2015 01:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac