Not remembering passwords

retail

14 Jul, 2015 11:44 AM

I'm using MD 2014 (not updating to 2015 until some usability issues with the new version are resolved). My wife and I both bank at USAA, among other banks. So we have multiple accounts at USAA and each one has one of two passwords - either mine or my wife's. Everything was working just fine until I recently added a new account (mine) and MD forgot the passwords to ALL USAA accounts. I've tried to go into Online Banking Setup to reset the password, but it still won't hold. When I try to download transactions, it pops up a box asking for the password for each USAA account.

Why did MD forget all the passwords to begin with and how do I get it to remember them now?

1. 1 Posted by retail on 14 Jul, 2015 11:44 AM

P.S.... my MD file is encrypted.

2. 2 Posted by Ian L on 14 Jul, 2015 11:53 AM

That's odd. I'm not sure why the program would forget all of your passwords, unless you specifically chose that option from the menu.

Could you try disabling encryption on your file, restarting the program, and then re-enabling encryption? That should allow you to save passwords again.

Ian
    Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by avp2 on 16 Jul, 2015 07:36 PM

This is probably the long-time problem of MD flagging all passwords for a multi-account institution as needing re-entry if OFX comm for any one of those accounts appears to fail due to invalid password (probably invalid user ID too). Institution server maintenance or changing a password on the website and forgetting to disable on-line access in MD to reset the password can trigger the situation.

The best way to recover from this is to disable all accounts with the institution then re-enable on-line access for each, one at a time, and entering their passwords when asked. The key is that if any one fails, all will fail, so using "download all accounts" before all the accounts are fixed individually can be very frustrating.

Also, MD used to (I have not experienced it on 2015 yet) sometimes refuse to forget an old password. If that happens, you can try "forget all passwords" and redo all your accounts one at a time. If that does not work, there is a "remove account" python script (available from support) that can be tried - though, it requires some account data manipulation beforehand to avoid data loss.

4. System closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2016 05:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac