imported data not visible

Paul Staley

16 Jul, 2015 04:16 AM

I have imported data into a trial version of MD 2015 from a manually downloaded file(.QFX). The imported transactions are not visible in the register but the ending balance changed to reflect the import. What happened? How do I get the individual transactions to show up?

I also reconciled my new account and ended up with the corretc ending balance, but no transactions were marked as cleared. What happened? How is this fixed?

Paul

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 16 Jul, 2015 12:11 PM

Hello Paul,

A few things to check:

Make sure the "all" button is selected at the top of your register. Some of the other options can filter out the most recent transactions from view.

Do you see a line towards the bottom of your register that says something like "XX Unconfirmed Transactions"? If so, click and drag this bar up to reveal your unconfirmed transactions.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by paulcstaley on 16 Jul, 2015 03:01 PM

Thanks for the reply, Ethan. I managed to figure that out on my own after awhile. Is there a way to batch confirm the transactions?

The data from my credit union is full of extraneous text, numbers and symbols. Is there a way to clean out some of this within MD? It also imports the data to the wrong fields. This is not looking good.

I tried importing a csv file via Text File Importer. I cleaned it up in Excel first. This works, is more hassle than I want to engage in every month. It also will not import deposits, even after including them as positive numbers in the same field as the debits. It imports the debits correctly, but the deposits are all zero. I tried two “amount” fields as part of the import, but it will only recognize one of them. The other is all zeros.

Is there any way to filter the imported/downloaded data within MD? The goal is to be able to download directly from the bank and have the data be readable and in the correct fields.

I do appreciate your help. Is there a users manual anywhere that might be useful?

Thanks...Paul

3. Scott Meehan closed this discussion on 16 Jul, 2015 04:22 PM.

4. Scott Meehan re-opened this discussion on 16 Jul, 2015 04:28 PM

5. 3 Posted by Scott Meehan on 16 Jul, 2015 04:28 PM

Hi Paul,

OFX and QFX are generally the best file types for importing your data, but sometimes financial institutions don't format them properly. Aside from manually editing the data, there isn't a good way to clean it up in Moneydance.

The Text File Importer only works with one amount field, so if you want to use that then make sure all your credits and deposits are in one column and differentiate them with a minus sign (-) in front of the amount when appropriate.

You can find our users guide here:

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/user-guides/moneydance-2015-user-guide

What financial institution are you working with? It might be worth contacting them and letting them know that your data isn't being exported very cleanly from their website.

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 4 Posted by paulcstaley on 16 Jul, 2015 04:38 PM

When I imported through TFI the debits had a minus sign but the deposits had no sign and all data was in one column. Should I add a + sign to the deposits?

I have already spoken to the web services folks at Star One Credit Union. They are aware of the extraneous data in the exported files. They claim it is fed to them in that format from the individual vendors. They have no plans to offer filtering. Sigh. It looks like TFI is my best choice.

I tried using CSV Importer but could not get it to work correctly. It asked for info that I did not have. Any other possibilities?

Thanks...Paul

7. 5 Posted by Scott Meehan on 16 Jul, 2015 05:12 PM

Hi Paul,

The deposits shouldn't need a plus sign, so I'm not sure why they didn't import properly. Can you send me the file that you're trying to import so I can see if I can figure out what's going on?

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

8. 6 Posted by paulcstaley on 16 Jul, 2015 07:07 PM

Attached is the last csv file I imported into MD. From the original file I removed several columns and a lot of the extraneous text, so now it is only the three columns that I need. In MD it would list the debits correctly but zero out the deposits. It will be interesting to see what your result is...Paul

9. 7 Posted by stantowianski on 18 Jul, 2015 05:22 PM

Hi. This is simple and I will explain. Get csv importer from here:
    https://github.com/stant/mdcsvimporter2015/releases

follow the instructions to set it up (attached).
    your file imports fine.

I assumed you do not care about these transactions being seen. If that's true, do you mind if I use this doc I created and post it with the software for others to use for instructions?

10. 8 Posted by -Kevin N. on 18 Jul, 2015 06:09 PM

Hi Paul,

I was able to successfully import your CSV file using the TFI.

I'll assume that you understand how to set up the first two screens of the TFI.

Set the Third screen as follows:
    Field 1: Date
    Field 2: Description
    Field 3: Amount

Click the 'Less Fields' button so that ONLY the 3 required fields are displayed on screen 3. Click OK.

You should also be able to use your original CSV file (with the extraneous data), just set those fields to 'Ignore'.

HTH -Kevin N.

11. 9 Posted by paulcstaley on 21 Jul, 2015 04:12 PM

Kevin,

Those are the steps that I have done repeatedly, all with the same result. I just did it again and have all the data where it is supposed to be except for the deposits, which are listed in the debit column as 0.00. Are there different versions of TFI? I am not sure which one I have, but I did download it from the MD site.

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions?...Paul

12. 10 Posted by -Kevin N. on 21 Jul, 2015 05:14 PM

Hi Paul,

I originally tried importing your data using MD 2011 (my MD of choice)

I just tried it again using the latest preview version of MD 2015 (currently build 1255) available here:
    http://infinitekind.com/preview

I used TFI v.103.

Again, I was able to successfully import your CSV file.

I've attached screenshots of the 3 screens of the TFI as well as the resulting import.

If you still experience trouble, try creating a new account to import the data into and see if the new account accepts the import.

HTH -Kevin N.

13. 11 Posted by paulcstaley on 21 Jul, 2015 10:25 PM

I will try the preview version and check the version of TFI. I will also create a test account to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks...Paul

14. System closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2016 05:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac