MoneyDanceExport.md vs. MoneyDance.moneydance

's Avatar

sdvic

25 Jul, 2015 11:52 PM

What is the difference between these two types of export?

Vic

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 26 Jul, 2015 12:17 PM

It looks like the first one may be from you trying to create a file in the Moneydance 2010 format. The only reason to do this would be if you are trying to move to an older version of the program. The second one (which I assume is from File -> Export Backup from the menu bar?) makes a copy of your current entire data set in the current format.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by Vic Wintriss on 26 Jul, 2015 06:09 PM

Ethan:

I still have a serious problem in that I can’t restore my date without destroying the bank connection somehow.

Right now I have good communications with the bank, but only the last 3 months of data that the bank saves. If I restore from the backup, I lose the bank connection. Is there a way that I can get all my data back from the backup file with out destroying the bank connection?

Vic

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 27 Jul, 2015 11:58 AM

Hello Vic,

There really isn't a comprehensive way to merge the data from one Moneydance file into another, which seems to be what you are asking. You could export all of your data in your old file in a QIF format and then try importing it into your current file, but if your data is complex this likely will not produce a good result, especially if you have investment accounts. If you are going to try this, make sure to make a copy of your current main data file before doing so in case something goes wrong.

However, I don't quite understand the situation you describe. If you can create a bank connection on one file, there's nothing that should prevent you from being able to create that bank connection on any other data file. It seems like the thing to do would be to simply set up your bank connection on the file that has the data that you want to use on it.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

4. Ian L closed this discussion on 27 Jul, 2015 06:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac